Chain Gate, or Sramgate?

'Dale

From velonews.com:

Dear Lennard,

It appears not many have commented on the chain skip or whatever it was during the prologue of the Tour de Suisse by the Leopard-Trek team members Cancellara and Andy Schleck, who both use Trek bikes and Dura-Ace electronic shifting. The question is, what caused the problem?

Andy could not get his chain back in or on and switched bikes. Cancellara skipped right away out of the start, though he recovered.

Do you happen to have any details on this, as I could not locate any?

— Stefan

A.

From Shimano’s Wayne Stetina:

I had also inquired and just got confirmation that Andy was running an unmatched combination of chainrings — the wrong 54 for the 42 inner. So his problem apparently was big/big crossover shifting to inner ring. Mick Rogers had same problem in Monaco TT opening stage of 2009 Tour while riding a 46-tooth inner selected for that course. When the chainrings are not a perfectly synchronized set, it can cause even more shifting problems with Di2 because the riders are accustomed to shifting under very high power, including while standing.

Regarding Cancellara, I still don’t know. I replayed the TV footage several times. Complete speculation on my part — I wonder if he might have shifted the wrong button to a lower gear instead of a higher gear??? Because he recovered instantly.

Wayne

Something tells me this doesn't warrant a new thread.

Moderators, feel free to move it to, say, TdF thread?

<_<

As long as it happens now and not in the Tour. Surely Andy has learnt his lesson...

Apparently for the Tour Leopard-Trek have AS on a single speed. If he needs a different gear they will be ready with a bike change. Mechanics have been drilled and these are now down to a few seconds. The team car is now a stretch limo to accommodate a bike for every possible gear ratio.

electric gears?:blink: thats a new one? sorry for my ignorance but what are the advantages of electronic gears? weight? shifting? so confused at the moment :unsure:

electric gears?:blink: thats a new one? sorry for my ignorance but what are the advantages of electronic gears? weight? shifting? so confused at the moment :unsure:

Hey while you have been doing the Stry Cat Strut the world has been moving forward. Shimano first launched their electronic Di2 a few years ago and Campagnolo launched theirs not too long ago. Why? Who knows. Would I like to try it? Fer sure..

Hey while you have been doing the Stry Cat Strut the world has been moving forward. Shimano first launched their electronic Di2 a few years ago and Campagnolo launched theirs not too long ago. Why? Who knows. Would I like to try it? Fer sure..

eish! yeah id also like to try it I suppose! but since I dont own a road bike and probably couldnt afford them ill just have to dream! oh well it least its a good post lunch topic to research :D

eish! yeah id also like to try it I suppose! but since I dont own a road bike and probably couldnt afford them ill just have to dream! oh well it least its a good post lunch topic to research :D

If you search on this place you will find an after market one for MTB's too.

"Andy was running an unmatched combination of chainrings"

That is just bull crap! If you set up your bike properly, you can run much bigger crossovers.

The say 54/ 42 was to big ... crap! I have done 52/34 and it worked. Ok, given you cant shift like and idiot, which I am sure a bike pro like Andy or Spartacus would not do. In the end the difference in gear ratios were to big when changing front gears and I it changed to 52/36. Then someone on the hub called me a pansy, so I installed a standard crank :lol: in preparation for the TDF drug scandals, my crank has been on EPO, running 54/40 now!

All my combinations in cross over have been bigger than what Andy or Spartacus used, anyone have the email address for the trek team where I can apply as mechanic?

That is just bull crap! If you set up your bike properly, you can run much bigger crossovers.

My interpretation wasn't that the difference was too big, rather that he used the wrong ring for that difference. Maybe they have a special 54 with a specific arrangement of shift ramps and pins to accommodate it. I don't know.

The say 54/ 42 was to big ... crap! I have done 52/34 and it worked. Ok, given you cant shift like and idiot, which I am sure a bike pro like Andy or Spartacus would not do. In the end the difference in gear ratios were to big when changing front gears and I it changed to 52/36. Then someone on the hub called me a pansy, so I installed a standard crank :lol: in preparation for the TDF drug scandals, my crank has been on EPO, running 54/40 now!

All my combinations in cross over have been bigger than what Andy or Spartacus used, anyone have the email address for the trek team where I can apply as mechanic?

54/40? Hell forget the mechanic job maybe you should apply for a ride?

Are you running electronic shifting, maybe 54/42 does not work well with the solenoid shifting system

54/40? Hell forget the mechanic job maybe you should apply for a ride?

Are you running electronic shifting, maybe 54/42 does not work well with the solenoid shifting system

I have seen many triathletes and TT where they were using 54-42 and 55-42 with DI 2 and no problems.

Shimano tech says up to a 56T

post-5455-0-43207900-1308739924.png

Edited by gummibear

Not familar with Di but logical dont see why it would be different.

In hindsight (glorius hindsight... :D ) I think Edman got it right in his post.

" the wrong 54 for the 42 inner"

There you go, folks!

It all becomes confusing again. <_<

Then again, I trust my local guy Tank' more than most when it comes to these matters.