UCI MTB Marathon World Champs - 26 June 2011

Squier

Marathon Worlds happening this Sunday in Italy. As far as I know our big names will be there; Kevin Evans, David George, Manie Heymans and I'm assuming Burry as well. Let's hope the SA boys can put on a good show!

Via Cyclingnews:

Lakata and Süss aim to defend marathon Worlds titles

Absalon is the wild card in his first-ever marathon world championship

By: Sue George, Mountain Bike Editor

The 2011 edition of the UCI Marathon World Championships will happen in Montebelluno, Italy, on Sunday. The popular, annual Gunn-Rita Marathon will double as the Worlds this year.

World champion Alban Lakata picks his line

Alban Lakata (Austria) and Esther Süss (Switzerland) will return to defend their 2010 world championships titles, but they won't be the only past world champions on the start line.

Former marathon world titleholders Italian Massimo de Bertolis (2004) and Swiss racers Ralph Näf (2006) and Christoph Sauser (2007) are also expected on the men's start line while German Sabine Spitz (2009) and Norwegian Gunn-Rita Dahle Flesjaa (2004, 2005, 2006 and 2008) will mix it up in the women's race.

Näf has been suffering back problems lately, however, and his participation and his form are not confirmed.

Perhaps the biggest wild card is two-time Olympic champion Julien Absalon (France), who will race his first marathon Worlds. Absalon is fresh off a win at the Offenburg World Cup and a win in Italy would add to his four cross country world titles.

⁠⁠⁠⁠

Dalby World Cup winner Jaroslav Kulhavy (Czech) is expected to contest the marathon Worlds although he was hit by a car during training a few days ago and sustained serious facial injuries.

view thumbnail gallery

Some others to watch in the men's race are Mirko Celestino (Italy), Crocodile Trophy winner Urs Huber (Switzerland), stage race ace Karl Platt (Germany), French marathoner Thomas Dietsch (France), newly crowned European marathon champion Alexey Medvedev (Russian Federation), La Ruta winner Ben Sonntag (Germany) and former national marathon champion Jeremiah Bishop (United States).

Past Worlds medallist Blaza Klemencic (Slovenia), Sally Bigham (Great Britain) and Annika Langvad (Denmark) are some other favorites in the women's race.

Last year, the Gunn-Rita Marathon hosted the European marathon championships, won by Näf and Süss.

The forecast for Sunday is 26 degrees Celsius and partly cloudy skies.

The men will race 115.7km while the women will race 98.3km.

Yep, I guess the best bet is to follow Team Bulls on twitter. Can't seem to find any live feeds on the web.

Sheesh, Germany, Italy and Switserland has more people contending than we have pro riders in SA. I see Burry is not on the start list, Only Kev, Dave and Erik Kleinhans. I dont think he is going for top position, prob more experiance.

Sheesh, Germany, Italy and Switserland has more people contending than we have pro riders in SA. I see Burry is not on the start list, Only Kev, Dave and Erik Kleinhans. I dont think he is going for top position, prob more experiance.

probably visiting some new family members in Europe ;)

Seems like Burry's main focus is the olympics next year. Kev and Dave has been in some good form of late! REally hope they can come good!

wow, that is hectic TW. I tell you one thing - that Czech's form is impressive!!

Yeah, he's had an awesome year so far!

That's hectic! Maybe a full face helmet is not such a bad idea after all...

:lol:

This could add fuel to the p###ing contest about who is tougher: the lycra brigade or the gravity crew!

Burry's focus is XC - when they get a bit on in years they go for the marathon events which is more about endurance than short bursts of speed and energy. Sussie is moving in this direction, with his XC career starting to wind up. Absalon is taking this very seriously as well.

Burry's focus is XC - when they get a bit on in years they go for the marathon events which is more about endurance than short bursts of speed and energy. Sussie is moving in this direction, with his XC career starting to wind up. Absalon is taking this very seriously as well.

Sussie XC form is good, me think top 5. Had a string of bad luck this year.

After the Burry Hops performance in the Marathon last year it looks like more xc racers want to give it a shot. I think compared to other years the course was not so tough last year. My money is on Sussie and Lakaaakaaa. My heart - Burryhop, Kevin and David

Sussie XC form is good, me think top 5. Had a string of bad luck this year.

Yes, he is up there this year but I have heard him say he will see how it goes this year and possibly thereafter decide to focus on the marathon events. I will see if I can find the video later.

Yes, he is up there this year but I have heard him say he will see how it goes this year and possibly thereafter decide to focus on the marathon events. I will see if I can find the video later.

yes you are right, i also recall reading/hearing it somewhere.