1 1/8 headtube, 1.5 steerer tube - is this possible?

nox1111

Hey guys,

I am seeing loads of decent 1.5" steerer tube forks for sale or on special everywhere... Revelations, Totems, Lyrics etc

There must be a way of running one of these on a standard 1,1/8 headtube (44mm). I am thinking something with external bearings top and bottom.

Anyone try this?

thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know of anyone who has been able to do this! These forks are specifically designed to cater for trail bikes that have a tapered headtube with a 1.5inch lower and a 1 1/8th upper. This is to increase stiffness in the headtube!

If you are running a normal 1 1/8th DONT buy one of the 1.5" forks as it wont fit the headset! - Havent seen any of those CC headset adaptors here yet either - so you may need to import!

Edited by nigelhicks

just wondering though ..... does it mean the fork will stand a bit 'proud' of the frame at the bottom .... possibly affecting the geometry #justsaying

I think it will - but seeing as I'mlooking at getting something like a 150 - 180mm fork, it would not be much of a problem.

Check with a Specialized dealer.

I'm sure their's is for the 1 1/8th steerer tube to 1.5 head tube ...... Mr Soccer Mom!

I think it will - but seeing as I'mlooking at getting something like a 150 - 180mm fork, it would not be much of a problem.

Alrighty then in that case a few millimeters won't make any difference :thumbup:

What frame is 1 1/8" headtube?

Fork 1.5"?

Other way around you can get a reducer

Edited by kosmonooit

I'm sure their's is for the 1 1/8th steerer tube to 1.5 head tube ...... Mr Soccer Mom!

Oops, read that wrong... :blush:

Hey guys,

I am seeing loads of decent 1.5" steerer tube forks for sale or on special everywhere... Revelations, Totems, Lyrics etc

There must be a way of running one of these on a standard 1,1/8 headtube (44mm). I am thinking something with external bearings top and bottom.

Anyone try this?

thanks

nox111

While there are a lot more MTB's coming out with 'oversize' headtubes, the ID standard seems to still be 33.8, not 44mm.

So a 'standard' head tube size will not fit the NUKE you are referring to on CRC.

The 44IESS fits a 44HT with hourglass taper. You have to watch that the internal cup depth will fit too. Some OS Headtubes are 44mm through, and some have an hourglass taper. A deep seat Headset like EEOS wont fit.

LOTS of variations. Proceed with care. But at least someone is keeping up!

Good for NUKE. I think there is an SA agent - COTIC dealer SA on this site.

Hey guys,

Anyone try this?

thanks

Its pretty simple, I have some Cane Creek headsets to accommodate this sitting on the shelf. They are basically a regular ZS [Zero Stack] 44mm top with a 44mm OnePiontFive bottom cup. The bottom bearing does sit externally to the headtube and you will need to accommodate this in your steerer tube length, I would estimate approx. 13mm. Although you wouldn't think that this will adjust the geometry by much it does. Its obviously going to change the ride height of the bike, lifting it by 13 - 15mm and additionally slacken the headtube angle by approx. 1deg.

EDIT: I was assuming you were wanting to run a tapered steerer... if you are looking for a straight 1.5 steerer fork and are wanting a headset to run this in a 44mm/ semi integrated frame then I am afraid you are out of luck.

Edited by morewoodkid

• 3 weeks later...