Distance: 35km's

What: glorious singletrack

Where: Paul Cluver Wine Estate

When: 26th June

Time: 9am

For more info: www.makadasadventures.co.za or www.wcmtb.co.za

To enter: www.roag.co.za

Edited by knippie

Rode this one yesterday. WHAT a muddy ride ! And no place to rinse off your MTB either.

Rode this one yesterday. WHAT a muddy ride ! And no place to rinse off your MTB either.

There was a large dam and a fairly decent stream right at the start. Either that or wash it when you get home. It's not the organizer's responsibility to keep your bike clean.

Does your mother still pack your lunch for you?

Muddy as hell but I had loads of fun.

Yeah, gave the bike a half decent wash off in the damn.

And, No, you are right in saying that it's not the organizer's responsibility, but would definitely have gone done well for the riders.

I gave my machine a large bath in the dam, cleaned my shoes and arms and legs there too...

Organization was spot on - course used to be great until the heavens opened and turned the route into a slush puppy.

Some like mud, some dont...dont blame the organization.

PS apparently the 35km funride route was great, and much much drier!

I should have done that!

I should have done that!

The 35Km funride was the 1 that I rode - not dry, muddy mate, very muddy

Yeah, gave the bike a half decent wash off in the damn.

And, No, you are right in saying that it's not the organizer's responsibility, but would definitely have gone done well for the riders.

Agreed it would have been nice, but seeing as the organizers do these events for love and not money, I think they need all the support they can get. With that in mind, the lack of a bikewash is a non-issue to me personally.

I should have done that!

Bud, I rode this and of the 35km route about 25km was through sloppy mud....I kid you not!

Its wasn't as muddy as the XC course!

The XC riders were a lot dirtier than the fun riders.

Its wasn't as muddy as the XC course!

The XC riders were a lot dirtier than the fun riders.

That's probably got more to do with speed than the wetness of the course. I was muddier than any of my friends who rode the XC course. As we were leaving, after the finish of the sub-vets race at 1pm, two funriders finished(4hrs for 35km) and they were the cleanest people we saw all day.

Having said that, I don't doubt that the XC course was properly soggy. It was already bad when we rode it Saturday and percentage-wise probably wetter than the funride. I guess the funride route just seemed worse to me because in my mind the fairly short XC course just doesn't seem as bad as the sheer amount of mud we dealt with in 35km.

But as stated before, I enjoyed it. I love the way the bike behaves and gets all skittish in the wet and relish the challenge of hitting technical sections at speed and then trying to stay upright. Lots of heart-in-mouth moments :-)

Loved the ride, awesome. Felt shorter than 35 K's though, did anyone check the distance?

post-3611-0-22953600-1309181441.jpg

Edited by XTC1

Yeah was loads of fun, muddy as hell but truely an epic little course, Thanks Mitzi and co was really enjoyable.

As to the whole bikewash debate, I dont think the intention of Nick was to take the micky out of the event or the organizers, it was simply meant as it "would have been nice" and yes it would have been nice. Not that I was bothered I dumped the dirty bike on the car, sprayed it off at home, and will giver her some TLC later tonight to get her all sparkly again.

Although if someone had a water compressor and a spray nossle I am pretty sure that they would have made a small killing R20 per bike and R10 per rider for a clean :)

Would be damn nice if they can hookup that section as a permanent part of the Oak Valey loop, would make it a nice 50km+ challenge if the entire loop from oakvallley and Paul cluver is linked.

Loved the ride, awesome. Felt shorter than 35 K's though, did anyone check the distance?

I clocked 32.5Km on my Blackberry using the Endomondo app