Alex rims weight?

Handlebar

My wife's got a Silverback Saturn. It feels heavy to me and I think the rims may be a major factor (Alex Ace-17).

How heavy are these rims and is it worth spending money on lighter rims given the value of the bike? There doesn't seem to be a lot of opinions or reviews on these rims.

Alex rime are good and strong, but heavy. Alex mtb wheelset normally average 1900 - 2000g, apposed to a set of American Classics at 1486g . You will shave about 500g off your wife's bike with AC.

Alex rime are good and strong, but heavy. Alex mtb wheelset normally average 1900 - 2000g, apposed to a set of American Classics at 1486g . You will shave about 500g off your wife's bike with AC.

So true !! Good and Strong and that is how I like a rim . By only filling your water bottle halfways you shave of 250 G !!!!

So true !! Good and Strong and that is how I like a rim . By only filling your water bottle halfways you shave of 250 G !!!!

So true, but this exercise could also cause dehydration!

Thanks for the info, Is there any truth in rotational weight being equivalent to double static weight. I can't quite get my head around it if it is.

Also try have a look at Shimano XT wheels, good value for money, weigh around 1.5kg a set and its tubeless :)

im not sure about the 17's you refer.

I've got a wheelset with Alex XCR XC rims 32 hole/28 hole back/front with A2Z hubs, they come in at 1295grams. Im quite aggressive rider and they still hold true after many hours. Im of the opinion that they are very good value for money compared to even the old Stans RC 7000 (i think).

have a look at www.alexrims.com for they weights

Mmm Kind of puts it into perspective I suppose. I may have some trouble convincing her though. :)

im not sure about the 17's you refer.

I've got a wheelset with Alex XCR XC rims 32 hole/28 hole back/front with A2Z hubs, they come in at 1295grams. Im quite aggressive rider and they still hold true after many hours. Im of the opinion that they are very good value for money compared to even the old Stans RC 7000 (i think).

have a look at www.alexrims.com for they weights

The website doesn't show the weight for ACE-17's. The XCR's look good. How much approx? Do you run them tubeless?

The website doesn't show the weight for ACE-17's. The XCR's look good. How much approx? Do you run them tubeless?

i got complete wheel set for between R7000 and R8000. I run them tubeless with only only stans rim tape - non tubeless tyres (i run a bit higher pressure at the back 2.2-2.8bar. I've used them on a couple of multi day events also. I have nothing bad to say about these wheels.

I only had a quick look and only saw DT-17's

Also try have a look at Shimano XT wheels, good value for money, weigh around 1.5kg a set and its tubeless :)

That's exactly what I was looking at, actually.

Still, Is there a big effect in shaving 500g off in wheel weight?

Very big! edit: but also depends how you ride but the benefit will come in when you climb

Edited by Mellow

That's exactly what I was looking at, actually.

I been using mine for about a year now, rims never went out of true, also I am quite hard on my wheels so I will do jumps, drops etc...think it was the best R3000 spent as for the weight and durability. It is full tubeless, not some using a rim strip. You can always upgrade some other parts with the other R4000 to make the bike a bit lighter but believe me you will feel the difference when going from a heavy wheelset to a lighter one

I been using mine for about a year now, rims never went out of true, also I am quite hard on my wheels so I will do jumps, drops etc...think it was the best R3000 spent as for the weight and durability. It is full tubeless, not some using a rim strip. You can always upgrade some other parts with the other R4000 to make the bike a bit lighter but believe me you will feel the difference when going from a heavy wheelset to a lighter one

you cant go wrong with XT wheels, not the lightest but rock solid and good good price.