Dusi Mfula last one

TimW

I am curious as to why races lose popularity and seeing as this is the last Dusi Mfula it seemed a good idea to ask a couple of direct questions: Why?

So, to all those riders who have previously done a Dusi Mfula, why are you NOT doing it this year?

To those who have never done it, why not?

If it was carrying on, what would make you go and do it (again)?

I have no link to the race, but am trying to get some feedback on what other people think are good and bad things in races.

Was speaking about this ealier today with my mate that has done it tthree times , from what I gathered is that the trails are boring, its too expensive and basically just not worth it.

I said in comparison to the Berg & bush, all he could say was, chalk & cheese.

I did this race twice when it ran from Pmb to Dbn with my wife.

What we liked:-

1. We have never been ridden through the area and it was a novel experience.

2. The paths/roads were not perfectly manicured as many of the KZN races seem to be. I heard a number of KZN riders complaining about the roughness of the surface and comparing it to other races they do.

3. The field was not huge and therefore no congestion on the single tracks

4. We rode/pushed bikes with some Duzi legends who kept us amused with war stories relevant to the section we were riding.Them paddlers can drink beer :rolleyes:

5. Many paddlers were riding with their wives as a way of showing them the valley and the river and this added to the social nature of the "race".

6. The organisers - Ray and his team - were really excited about the event and what it meant to the riders and the locals

Why we have not ridden again.

1. We don't like doing the same races year after year. There are so many excellent stage races on the calendar that we try to choose two different races each year

2. I don't think the new format has start and finish of each stage in the same place but the logistics of finding a non rider to fetch and carry us is impossible

I have entered and will be riding - my first Mfula.

Speaking to guys around PMB, a lot have a dislike for Ray. They say he blows things way out of proportion as to how fantastic this and that is, etc. This goes for MTBers and Canoeists.

The race is expensive, that is for sure! Same distance as Hill2Hill and some 14 times more expensive. I was expecting some goodie bag for my money but on enquiringly, I'm getting a big fat ZERO!! Apparently, if I had entered on or before the 31st May I would have received a T-shirt of some kind. Wow, for R3480, a T-shirt?! So I pay the same money and get less, makes great sense.

I'm not enthusiastic about the 2nd day being a copy of the Nationals which were held at Inanda dam. Or so I have been told. Looking at the route profile, it is extremely similar to the route profile of the Nationals, just saying ....

• 3 weeks later...

I have entered and will be riding - my first Mfula.

Speaking to guys around PMB, a lot have a dislike for Ray. They say he blows things way out of proportion as to how fantastic this and that is, etc. This goes for MTBers and Canoeists.

The race is expensive, that is for sure! Same distance as Hill2Hill and some 14 times more expensive. I was expecting some goodie bag for my money but on enquiringly, I'm getting a big fat ZERO!! Apparently, if I had entered on or before the 31st May I would have received a T-shirt of some kind. Wow, for R3480, a T-shirt?! So I pay the same money and get less, makes great sense.

I'm not enthusiastic about the 2nd day being a copy of the Nationals which were held at Inanda dam. Or so I have been told. Looking at the route profile, it is extremely similar to the route profile of the Nationals, just saying ....

what did you think of the race?

I can't fault the race route. The riding was thoroughly enjoyable. A side note; it was thoroughly enjoyable when not riding through settlements and being chased by dogs and having children try and grab your water bottle because the contents looked like juice!

They put some effort in cutting new ST but they had a bit of a "fail" when the ST was cut too close to the water at the dam and the ST was water logged and slippery when all around was dry and dusty. The cattle tracks that we followed were super-tube smooth which was awesome. The river crossings were interesting - no safety officers present at these crossings, not sure if it is a requirement of a race?

I was very disappointed when after finishing Day 1 I thought I'd get a bite to eat. Oh no, no free food for riders. Only if you paid the camping fee of R500 are you entitled to food at the finish. I was supplied with a ISO100 drink and a dry, sun-baked muffin. Couldn't eat it with the dry mouth I was experiencing after the mornings ride.

The second day started with a boat trip across the dam - not sure if they were simply trying to blow smoke up are arse, but it seems an unnecessary expense and the money could be spent elsewhere. We were "given" a facecloth to dry our feet which we gave back to be reused next year? Day 2 was bad with regard to riding through settlements (under peoples washing lines) and again, dogs and children asking for sweets and juice. People started referring to the Inanda Christmas beetles, sweeeeeets, sweeeeeets, etc. The ST was better on this section - drop-offs, switchbacks and lovely views. The climb from Inanda Dam wall was torture. On both days, one got the feeling towards the end that they where simply trying to add distance rather than add the fun factor. We were made to criss-cross the main road too many times for my liking and with the main road following a spine of a hill, it meant for short downhills, followed by way too long climbs up the other side.

I should clarify; I did receive a long sleeve T-shirt at registration as well as a branded 750ml thermos flask and a small bag of ground coffee.

Would I do it as it stands again? NO! Too expensive and simply, not enough value for money. Rumours have been making the rounds that the event sponsors are not impressed due to promises that it's going to be a huge event, better than next year blah blah blah. Limited entries at 300 teams and I think there were about 148 at the end. Everyone has a laugh and says, "Typical Ray promises."