Rear shock questions

RoboLuke

In my mind - Sometimes one wants a rear shock with total lockout, sometimes it must just lock but not fullout (likepro pedal) and sometimes it must really give way. - And have a easy 3 way selector to achieve this.

Q1: Does this product exist then please tell me what it is

Q2: If it does not exist - which is the next best thing?

Scott did a 3-selector rear shock on range a while back - sure they still do.

It worked like a lock out for your front shock with a lever on the bar.

Think it might have been DT Swiss that did the shock - sure someone will know.

Personal opinion - I ride a Fox RP2 on the back. It is what I need when I need it - for what its worth.

Hope you come right mate.

I had a Scotty before and they have the full lock out, "traction control" whereby your amount of travel has been reduced and the spring rate feels a little different and then the full "who's your daddy" open position. All worked well, but I must say that I far prefer what the RP23 is offering me.

You can select the amount of platform you are after and then either run it in open or the selected platform.

The nice thing about the platform is that it is firm under pressure and yet give way nicely when you need it.

I would love a remote lock out for the RP23 though!

H

Sounds like you are looking for a Scott genius bike.......

Such a shock on its own don't exist as far as I know

Shock Features

Adjustable Air Spring - Internal Floating Piston - Oil Damping - Self Adjusting Air Negative Spring Nitrogen Charged - Speed Sensitive Compression Damping - Externally Adjustable Rebound Damping Speed Sensitive Rebound Valve Stack - Compression Lock-out with High Speed Blow-off

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/04_RearShocks_en.pdf

I have this on my 2004 Spesh Stumpy

OK....if you had to choose between the following - which one will it be?

Monarch RT3 or Fox RP23?

OK....if you had to choose between the following - which one will it be?

Monarch RT3 or Fox RP23?

FOX.

Sounds like you need RP3 though. Lock (still some travel) Midrange and full open.

Only had experience with fox RP23 and hove no complaints. They say service it every x hours but was told only service if shock plays up.

In my mind - Sometimes one wants a rear shock with total lockout, sometimes it must just lock but not fullout (likepro pedal) and sometimes it must really give way. - And have a easy 3 way selector to achieve this.

Q1: Does this product exist then please tell me what it is

Q2: If it does not exist - which is the next best thing?

What you are looking for is one of the Marzocchi Roco TST models. It allows you to play with rebound and compression damping as well as select lockout over and above the compression damping.

The Scott Genius range is almost the same but it doesn't fiddle with compression damping, just with the cannister volume size so that the ramp-up is accentuated and travel is kinda restricted.

However, these are pull-shocks and only work on pull-shock bikes. I think Scott has the only pull-shock bike on the market. I certainliy haven't seen any other.

Total lockout is achievable but not desirable. It is bound to break a valve inside. For instance, the Fox range achieves lockout by means of a spring-loaded piston that closes a valve. The tension on the spring determines the blow-off point. Were you to remove the spring and make it full lockout without blow-off, the other valves (tiny little shims), won't hold.

JB

Edited by Johan Bornman

Thanx for the input Johan. I definitively have a push shock -It gets pushed with the bike up the hills