New road bike - Untrue front wheel..

bikekid

Hi guys

Just got my new road bike today but when I got home I noticed the front wheel was not spinning true (Yes I should have checked at the shop - Doh!!)

Anyways I have 2 questions

1) I had to remove the front wheel to take it home. Could I have done something wrong when I put the front wheel back on the bike? I tried taking it off and putting it on but no luck.

2) I am going to take the bike back tomorrow to the shop so they can sort it out but how much wobble is acceptable on a road bike? Since the thing is brand new I expect the wheels to be perfectly true or am I being unreasonable? But after a month or 2 of use can a bit of wobble be expected and if so how much is reasonable? On my MTB both rear and front wheel do not spin true, but due to the amount of punishment it goes through that is understandable.

Are you sure its not the tyre that has a wobble in it. More likely to be that than the wheel its self.

Are you sure its not the tyre that has a wobble in it. More likely to be that than the wheel its self.

Just checked - looks like the rim has the wobble. Will take it back tomorrow. Not a huge issue. I always get good service from the shop :)

2 min job to true the wheel, but fact is, it shouldn't have left the shop untrue. Did you take it for a ride to make sure all was 100%?

2 min job to true the wheel, but fact is, it shouldn't have left the shop untrue. Did you take it for a ride to make sure all was 100%?

No :/ N00b mistake. I did use it on the trainer in the shop and cycled through all the gears etc, checked brakes etc. Live and learn. Thanks for the advice - will take it back tomorrow then so they can sort it out.

Its not a big issue, chances are your factory wheels were built by a machine. Checker 158 was probably on her 3 min smoke break and missed 786 wheels that she was supposed to check in that time. You were just unlucky.

These machines build them up pretty good but still need an element of human inspection to check the spoke tension, some wheelbuilders "listen" to the wheel. Doubt that you could have damaged it by removing it.

Your shop should have it fixed in no time

Edited by Tankman

Make your wheel listen to this song:

Footsteps on the dance floor remind me baby of you

Teardrops in my eye-eyes, next time I'll be true, yeah

Its not a big issue, chances are your factory wheels were built by a machine. Checker 158 was probably on her 3 min smoke break and missed 786 wheels that she was supposed to check in that time. You were just unlucky.

These machines build them up pretty good but still need an element of human inspection to check the spoke tension, some wheelbuilders "listen" to the wheel. Doubt that you could have damaged it by removing it.

Thanks for the tips guys - all sorted. Took it in today and 2 mins later all sorted. Running perfectly and true :)

Going to take her for her first ride Saturday morning :) First road race next weekend!!!

What do you prefer tankie, a machine or a 16 year old appie at the bike shop?

Edited by eccentric1

The appi who had a good teacher ;)

:lol: neither, I prefer a hand-build set from a true wheelbuilder where I get to choose the rims, hubs, spokes, nipples but I dont prefer that price tag!