Steering shudders when going free hand

OneMac

Hi Hubbers

As soon as I let go the handle bars on my Silverback Nabraska, the front wheel starts to swerve from side to side, so much so that I can never go free hand.

I have replaced the front fork, but this has not helped.

Any suggestions?

OneMac

Maybe your slime has gone hard in the tyre and there is a blob sitting in there making the wheel unbalanced...

Not used to the twitchier steering from the steep head tube geometry?

I found the same thing going from a fs bike to my mongoose hardtail, I have to watch much more carefully when I sit up on my mongoose.

Pretty expensive first option, replacing the fork.

Have the wheels checked for trueness/tension.

Also the headset might not be tightened properly.

Check that the brake pad aren't catching one side.

Pretty expensive first option, replacing the fork.

Have the wheels checked for trueness/tension.

Also the headset might not be tightened properly.

Check that the brake pad aren't catching one side.

Got the same problem on my Merida MATTS 80 2010 model ,I was under the impression its just the way the bike is built ,cant hear any scratiching break pads etc.....

Edited by CharlV

Stop taking your hands off the bars would be the cheapest option...

Seriously though, I would have started with the headset bearing (check for play), then the wheel trueness and its bearings and then a trip to the shop where I bought the bike for some "expert" advice. Changing the fork seems a bit extreme unless you happenned to have a spare lying around...

Had the same problem on my old bike. We found that the alignment of the wheels was out ie. if you look at the bike from behind, the back wheel was marginally to the left of the front wheel. Problem is that u cant fix that problem. It was just a design defect on the frame. :thumbdown:

It's called Schimming when happening on Motorbikes. Ask Johan Boringman, he'll tell you waht to do.

Or even better use the search function, there has been a long thread on that a while ago.

Edited by rob!

My friend got the same problem on his giant anthem. He had a medium frame (no shudder) that cracked at the seattube(like every 2nd anthem) and them they gave him a large and the shudder starts.

Weird,we cant figure out why. Why is the large frame doing it.

Aaaah the missing search function. I wish somebody would sort that problem out... ;)

Edited by Grebel

Check if tyre seated correctly! Then, how big is your speed sensor on your fork? Don't blame large Anthem - I had a medium and small and no problems. Do your checklists and find the real problem before dissing the frame that is one component. The front wheel has 270 parts - start there!

Check if tyre seated correctly! Then, how big is your speed sensor on your fork? Don't blame large Anthem - I had a medium and small and no problems. Do your checklists and find the real problem before dissing the frame that is one component. The front wheel has 270 parts - start there!

I'm not dissing the frame I'm just saying what is happening. Read my post, only the frame had changed then its starts to shudder. Nothing else had changed. So no the problem is not with the wheel. And he did not had the problem with the medium either.

Did you check that the headset is set up correctly? That is, not too tight or too loose? Both extremes will result in the symptoms you describe.