Carbon Wheelset advice

Audible Anarchy

Im looking at getting a pair of deep section carbon wheels as an upgrade / for racing / longer rides.

i currently ride mavic ksyrium clinchers with a 10 speed shimano cassette - and know nothing about carbon wheels?

what sort of price range should i look at? what hubs? tubular vs clincher? gosh so many options and prices i dont know where to start!

any advice?

Go clincher for starters...

Wind isnt a huge factor in Johazardousburg, so go for the 50mm range or so rather than 30mm

You could pick up a set of second hand wheels for R3k or spend up to R45k for a set of Lightweights.

post-615-0-11974600-1308831941.jpg

Edited by splat

Mavic Cosmic Carbone. Strong as hell, clinchers, 50mm. Probably 5-6k used and in good condition. If you are lucky 7.5k new when there is stock available at the new price.

mmmmm. You are right, so many options open to you.... Splat was right though straight off the bat.... you dont have any serious wind up there, so go with the 50mm as a given, nice forward slicing action.

I would STAY AWAY from Tubbies UNLESS.... you are a pro with a back up vehicle, have LOTS of cash to replace wheels, you only going to be racing with them.

Otherwise, stick with Clinchers, cheaper tyres, easy to fix punctures, NOT tubeless, but who cares, I would rather ride than walk.

There are a good few carbon deep sections out there and her on the hub as well, some good imports. Use the guys that youw ould feel the most comfortable with and here the price is right.

Look at the braking surface of the Carbon rims though, make sure that it is slightly thicker than the normal face of the rim.

Good luck, happy hunting and get hold of CCD if you want really great quality at a VERY affordable price with FANTASTIC service :clap:

Im looking at getting a pair of deep section carbon wheels as an upgrade / for racing / longer rides.

What is your budget?

What is your budget?

as little as possible hahah!

def less than 10k

are the bits the brake pads run on made of carbon too? do i need to change my brakepads if i use carbon wheels?

what are some of the more midrange brands i should look at? they have to be strong!

Definitely need to change your brakepads. A set of Swisstop Yellow will run you about R500 or you could go for a cheap set of RAV X cork pads for around R200, but the Swisstop are the best in all weather conditions.

Definitely need to change your brakepads. A set of Swisstop Yellow will run you about R500 or you could go for a cheap set of RAV X cork pads for around R200, but the Swisstop are the best in all weather conditions.

+ 1 for the Swisstop Pads

as little as possible hahah!

def less than 10k

are the bits the brake pads run on made of carbon too? do i need to change my brakepads if i use carbon wheels?

what are some of the more midrange brands i should look at? they have to be strong!

Have a look at the Reynolds on CRC, good price and good ride and they're clincher.

Consider Mavic Comic Carbones SR or prevoius model SLR.

They're great wheels, very fast and good looking stuff!!

Also, The Dura Ace C50's are great as well.

I have a set of DA7900 C35's, 35mm deep. They nice esp for Cpt where wind get hectic!

post-16243-0-94989400-1308836179.jpg

Get some with alu brake surface. Then you do not need to change pads everytime you change wheels.

Then go with the Cosmic Carbones.Not the lightest but very strong.

+1

Alu braking surface, so you dont need to change brakepads each time you change wheels.

post-615-0-31065000-1308836666.jpg

id liek to keep my ksyriums as training wheels? are the pads i currently use for them different? can i use the "carbon wheel" pads for normal alu style rims as well?