[Event] Baviaans Mega 2011

mountainbikingsouthafrica

Event Name: Baviaans Mega 2011
When: 9 October 2011 - 14 October 2011
Where: Patensie Baviaanskloof, Eastern Cape
Category: MTB

Explore the greater Baviaanskloof Wilderness area and Grootrivierpoort from the seat of your saddle.

The Baviaanskloof (valley of the Baboons) lies between the Baviaanskloof Mountain range in the north and the Kouga mountains in the west This 192 000ha conservation area was awarded ‘World Heritage Status’. It is home to a wide variety of habitats and species. Proteas, Karoo scrubs, Yellowwoods and many more can be seen. A variety of animals like Kudu and Mountain reedbuck roam the hills and valleys. If you are lucky you will see the Baviaanskloof Rhino. On the Baviaanskloof side there are campsites and lodges. You will see other mountain bikers or hikers as well as people in their 4x4’s. On the Grootrivier poort side of the Baviaanskloof Mountains it is extremely remote and the silence is overpowering.

Mountainbikingsouthafrica will take you on a trip not to be forgotten. Accommodation will be either in a lodge, farmhouse or mountain hut. You will experience nature at its best. All you have to do after your hard day’s cycling is to sit down and enjoy a beer while you watch the sun set.

Along the route snacks and will be provided. A backup vehicle will follow you. A guide will accompany you on the bike. This is quite a tough ride but is within the means of any fit individual.

The group will accommodate only 12 riders.

You need to be fit enough to do 60 to 90km per day

Day 1: Sunday 9th October. Arrive from 17h00.We meet on Sunday eve in Patensie . Supper and a good nights sleep before the tour starts on Monday.

Day 2: Monday 10th of October- cycling. After a good breakfast we start the tour. 50km to Hadley farm. Do not think this is an easy day! The climb out of the Grootrivierpoort is spectacular and will test you climbing skills. Antonies Pass is a tough one. We stay over on a farm. Supper next to a big born fire

Day 3: Tuesday 11th- cycling. 95km to Nooitgedacht farm. Experience the Karoo side of things. Look out for slow traffic...giant tortoises and Angora goats

Day 4:Wednesday 12th- cycling. 59km to Cederkloof. The Nuwekloof pass is part of today’s adventure. At the end awaits a home cooked meal in Martha’s restaurant.

Day 5: Thursday 13th- cycling. 89km to Bergplaas. Today’s route will take your breath away for more than one reason. Look out for Rooihartbees when you get to the mountain hut. The 'mother of all passes' is part of the day!

Day 6: Friday 14th- cycling. 51km back to Patensie. A climb or two and then downhill and a winding road through the orange orchards. You can either spend another day in the area or pack your kit and start the journey home

Included in tour:

All accommodation (5 nights) Meals on cycling days.Snacks at lunchtime

Full backup support

Guide

Transfer of your luggage while cycling

Excluded:

Transport to and from start at Patensie

Alcoholic drinks (A cash bar will be available)

Make sure that you have medical insurance that will cover any injuries on a tour like this. We will be cycling in remote areas and you will need to be covered for any emergency that can occur.

Rates: R5800pp.

Go to Event Page