help on upgrading my merida 1000

flyluis

hi there.

Got a merida 1000d been riding it for a while but kinda getting bored with it and was thinking of putting on better components. do you think its worth it? Or should i rather sell the bike and get a better one?

if you think its better to upgrade the the bike any suggestions?

thanks for the help guys and girls!!!!

well from what i've read here on hub your should try upgrade your components roughly in the order if your wanting to upgrade and get the better performance enhancement

1-fork

2-wheels

3-brakes

4-shifters

5- then weight saving stuff like derailers, seatposts, pedals etc.

but if you can afford it generally it works out cheaper to sell and buy a better spec bike as one generally upgrades everything then.

but if your planing to do it slowly over time then go for items you think will make the biggest difference first of what you can afford that will make a bigger difference. ie: dont go spend like R1000 on a stem when you could use the money rather to get better brakes etc.

well from what i've read here on hub your should try upgrade your components roughly in the order if your wanting to upgrade and get the better performance enhancement

1-fork

2-wheels

3-brakes

4-shifters

5- then weight saving stuff like derailers, seatposts, pedals etc.

but if you can afford it generally it works out cheaper to sell and buy a better spec bike as one generally upgrades everything then.

but if your planing to do it slowly over time then go for items you think will make the biggest difference first of what you can afford that will make a bigger difference. ie: dont go spend like R1000 on a stem when you could use the money rather to get better brakes etc.

It depends on the spec on the bike; if the bike has a Manitou R7 on any "upgrade" will be a downgrade. Mine also has SLX brakes - very good and not really worth the upgrade. I would say that decent wheels would be a good place to start.

Upgrade the handle bars,stem and seatpost to KCNC you will save over 300g depending on what you have on it would cost you over 1k

If it ain't bust, don't fix it!

But if you have $ to spend some suggestions for slicker gears and less weight:

-Possibly upgrade the gear set and shifters / RD once they needs replacing, SRAM X0 is the bizzness! 2x10 or 3x10 (Twisters are only 9 speed though). Some bargains going on 9 speeds kit now. There has been a few used X0 RD's going here lately on the hub for less than 1/2 the price of new, and other 9 speed bits.

-Light Tubeless wheel set (keep the old ones to sell with the bike or as spares / training wheels) ZTR Crest is good for general riding, lots of hubs to choose from (DT Swiss, Hope etc). DIY wheel building not for the faint hearted but you can order them built from CRC and elsewhere, and local expurts abound.

-Lightweight crank set: Truvativ Noir is what I fitted, working out well but you stuck with their GXP BB.

-Brakes: it what you got works for you, leave them as is. Same for fork. But lots of 'nice to have' our there.

Wheel & fork upgrade would be the best bet at alleviating the boredom. These can be transfered easy enough to a better frame along the line. What are you exactly bored of? :unsure:

thanks for the help guys!!! guess im just bored at looking at the same bike. thinking of changing the wheel set and ill see if its 'better' looking.

If you are bored ride harder. You should be riding your bike, not looking at it.

All jokes aside, if it is the HFS 1000D it won't come easy. Go for personalisation rather than upgrading. Already got some nice bits on it.

New wheels are the bomb, especially if you keep the old wheels and slap mud tyres on them. Tubeless should have been on the bike 7years ago. Then you can look at thongs like saddle, handlebars etc, but the improvement ito ride quality will be little.

The frame and Fox fork is brilliant, I'll upgrade the brakes to XT or the Formula R1.

If you wan't looks, buy a roadbike.

Yeah its good if u could keep it appear new to you always.. Me too is getting bored wid my old one.