Customs currency boo boo...please help!

craig82

I ordered some goodies off CRC the other day and used paypal as I had a bunch of money in that account.

Long story short I ended up paying in dollars.

My problem is that customs looked at the country of origin (GB) and assumed that the amount is in pounds, so instead of an exchange rate of 6.9 (USD) they charged my 11.148 (GBP) to calculate my tax on the goods.

Now they want R1278 instead of R714.

Does anyone know how to dispute this or at least who to contact?

A friend of mine went to the SARS office with a customs complaint and they recalculated the customs duty for him there and then.

I ordered some goodies off CRC the other day and used paypal as I had a bunch of money in that account.

Long story short I ended up paying in dollars.

My problem is that customs looked at the country of origin (GB) and assumed that the amount is in pounds, so instead of an exchange rate of 6.9 (USD) they charged my 11.148 (GBP) to calculate my tax on the goods.

Now they want R1278 instead of R714.

Does anyone know how to dispute this or at least who to contact?

Edited by Gambitdbn

your friend was lucky, when i had a problem i got told it will take them 6months to refund me, 8 months later nothing

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with a CRC order. The parcels were delivered in more than 1 shipment - unfortunately the full invoice was included with each shipment by CRC and customs calc was doubled.

Kind of wipes out the cost benefit of ordering online :thumbdown:

After 4 requests to CRC to reinvoice in order for me to correct it with SARS i unfortunately got no response. Eventually the effort to save a few hundred rand outweighed the benefit.

Was dissapointed by the lack of response and prefer to use Wiggle now instead

I had a similar problem with a CRC order. The parcels were delivered in more than 1 shipment - unfortunately the full invoice was included with each shipment by CRC and customs calc was doubled.

Kind of wipes out the cost benefit of ordering online :thumbdown:

After 4 requests to CRC to reinvoice in order for me to correct it with SARS i unfortunately got no response. Eventually the effort to save a few hundred rand outweighed the benefit.

Was dissapointed by the lack of response and prefer to use Wiggle now instead

Had same situation. Customs and its employees are all (without exception) useless. The guy that is suppose to sort these type of problems NEVER answers his phone or return any calls. Forget about getting your money back.