Hazeldean race...How was yours...

DBAD

I almost froze my assssssssssssssss off cycling to the race. Blikthem it was cold!

The results in the 40km was in my opinion a total cock up. But hasn't the results from this race always been one?

The route was nice - a bit too much singletrack for my liking but that is just me. Markings was average - some of the bunting blew away in the wind!

OH FORGOT TO MENTION THE GATE WE GOT TO THAT WAS LOCKED!!! WE HAD TO CLIMB OVER IT TO CONTINUE...

Hot choclate at the finish was nice....

I would give it a 7 outa 10.

Oh just one rant: THIS IS TO TIM FAIR: PRE RIDES SHOULD BE BANNED! My opinion is that guys go there to scout the route and then figure out were they can take shortcuts...I am 150% sure it has happeend in this race. I can't proof it, but I am sure it has happened! i have spoken to some of the racers and they all feel the same!!!

NO TO PRE RIDES!!!

Not looking forward to Teak place though. More singletrack. Ugh...

Edited by MJ the mountainbiker

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flippin' freezin - especially when the wind blew (which was a lot!). I though the route was really nice, but the marking was average. I, along with plenty other guys, took a wrong turn that cost 4km and a whole heap of time trying to get back on course on the 70km.

Nonetheless, I had a good morning out and burned a good few calories :thumbup:

Flippin' freezin - especially when the wind blew (which was a lot!). I though the route was really nice, but the marking was average. I, along with plenty other guys, took a wrong turn that cost 4km and a whole heap of time trying to get back on course on the 70km.

Nonetheless, I had a good morning out and burned a good few calories :thumbup:

Was there a time that the wind did not blow? :D It blew my contactlense off my eye!

Loved It! It was my first race ever so I can't compare, but I found that the route was great, track wasn't too technical at all, but its was good and flowing, sheer numbers created a lot of backupbut guess u can expect it starting from the back! The weather at the start killed me, but 5 km in I was warm! The wind on the otherhand killed! It blew constantly and killed my stamina! But over all I loved it!

Man I've never been so cold in my life.

I could not get to warm up. My poor knees were exposed to the elements.(wind incase you did not get up this morning)

Everything else on the race seem to be fine. Only thing for me was the single track at the end joining up with the 40km was not cool

I was starting to cramp and walking and cramping does not go down well. I wish i could just have stayed on the bike through those sections

I had a had race. Time was worse than last year and i'm sure i'm a fitter rider this year. Is it just me or did the cold and this wind made it to be alot harder?

Happy riding all

Till the next one.

I actually thought the route was well marked. Then again, maybe at the pace I rode it was easy to spot the bunting and the signboards.

It was a nice mixture of everything, although there weren't too many climbs.

One complaint I had was that the 40k & 70k routes merged at probably the most testing piece of the course (+- 6/7k's from the end) and the 70k riders then got stuck behind 40kers who couldn't ride the rock garden. Obviously once the first person climbed off their bike, it became like a procession. A couple of us then picked up our bikes and ran through this section trying to dodge the walkers.

I actually thought the route was well marked. Then again, maybe at the pace I rode it was easy to spot the bunting and the signboards.

It was a nice mixture of everything, although there weren't too many climbs.

One complaint I had was that the 40k & 70k routes merged at probably the most testing piece of the course (+- 6/7k's from the end) and the 70k riders then got stuck behind 40kers who couldn't ride the rock garden. Obviously once the first person climbed off their bike, it became like a procession. A couple of us then picked up our bikes and ran through this section trying to dodge the walkers.

Talking about slower riders - at the boschkop mtb park single tract section, we passed a "tannie in pink" standing at the side, yielding the track. Dunno what happened but she slipped and fell acroos the singletrack and the guy infront of me slammed into her...

I guess her ego was more bruised than her rib cage as the oke infornt of me called her TANNIE...

I almost froze my assssssssssssssss off cycling to the race. Blikthem it was cold!

The results in the 40km was in my opinion a total cock up. But hasn't the results from this race always been one?

The route was nice - a bit too much singletrack for my liking but that is just me. Markings was average - some of the bunting blew away in the wind!

Hot choclate at the finish was nice....

I would give it a 7 outa 10.

Oh just one rant: THIS IS TO TIM FAIR: PRE RIDES SHOULD BE BANNED! My opinion is that guys go there to scout the route and then figure out were they can take shortcuts...I am 150% sure it has happeend in this race. I can't proof it, but I am sure it has happened! i have spoken to some of the racers and they all feel the same!!!

NO TO PRE RIDES!!!

Not looking forward to Teak place though. More singletrack. Ugh...

Too much SINGLE track . Please don't call yourself a MTB'er if that is your problem . I suppose the Crater Cruise is more a MTB race then ?

Too much SINGLE track . Please don't call yourself a MTB'er if that is your problem . I suppose the Crater Cruise is more a MTB race then ?

Didn't I say "but that is just me..."??? Jimmel ou! Sit en ontspan bietjie.

Only problem is there are roadies reading this and you are not doing anything for the image that has taken some of us years to build . <_<

Im gonna convert to single speed. My fith race in a row that im having problems with my gears and the bike goes in after everyrace for them to sort it out. Im now sick n tired of it. his time my rear derailer cable snapped at the 30km mark. So I had to do the rest of the race with two gears. It was really tough especially going into the wind.

Fritz and their team really did their best with the marking but the wind literally blew away some marking boards and some farmers decided this morning it would be a good idea to pick up some board and put them next to the side of the road on a stack.

That caused me and a bunch of other riders to somewhere miss 8km off the 70km. Now I will never know what my real time would have bean. My 62km was done in 2:43.

Anycase, enough of my moaning. The track was awesome and really enjoyed the single track even though I was pedalling my @ss off with the heavy gears.

That piece of down hill after +/- 3km before the end was a lot of fun.

Everything at the venue itself was really well organized. Cant wait for Teakplace.

Only problem is there are roadies reading this and you are not doing anything for the image that has taken some of us years to build . <_<

Image is nothing mate...

Edited by MJ the mountainbiker

My hands were numb (my fault fingerless gloves) for the first 20 kms I really froze and battled with my hands.

After the river crossing that was half washed away my feet were so cold and numb it was terrible.

The icy wind chilled me to the bone.

At 58 kms to have to get off and walk for ages on perfect riding track where we merged with 40km riders really gave me a sense of humour failure I got so cold again and was buggered after that.

Was a race I cant wait to forget I just didn't enjoy it dont like being cold like that.

Think the organisers did a good job except to feed us back onto that track with 40km guys @58km mark.

I am worried for Teak with this amount of entries at these events I dont see how we are not going to be pushing half the route I hope I am wrong.

My opinion is that guys go there to scout the route and then figure out were they can take shortcuts...I am 150% sure it has happeend in this race. I can't proof it, but I am sure it has happened! i have spoken to some of the racers and they all feel the same!!!

My bike mounted camera can prove cheating. One place where a nice shortcut was taken, was after a river crossing where the bridge went into the water and one had to ride the last section through the water (28km into the 40km race). When I was there, everyone was turning left soon after coming out of the water. You followed some single track along the river (with bunting tape on the trees at regular intervals) and then came out onto a field. There were plenty riders in front of me and nothing to make one suspect that this was not the route.

My dad carried on straight after the river and turned right. An odd thing: lots of riders were joining that road from somewhere else. But his was the right route since he passed a marshal point. His route took him through the "rock garden" and mine did not. The two routes joined shortly before the last long, dark tunnel. From where our routes separated by the river, back to where we joined a common route again, my dad's route took him 16min whereas my route took me 4min30sec and my GPS showed a race distance of 37.75km whereas my dad's GPS (both Garmin Edge 705 models, so should show roughly the same) showed 39.75km.

The "shortcut route" joined the proper route at 90 deg AND there was a board on the floor indicating to join the proper route by turning left. How that can be if this was not the proper route is a mystery.

So yes, MJ the mountainbiker, a lot of us ended up "cheating" by going with the flow ahead of us. But as I said, the shorter route looked legit (I reviewed my video, so not just saying that). It pisses me off that I ended up taking a shortcut. Some pre-ride SOB consciously cheated and dragged a whole lot of other honest riders with him. I wonder if he (they) purposely legitimized the route with bunting tape, painting rocks and the turn left sign.

Edited by Andreas M3

@Andreas M3 - We were about 7 riders ath the front of the race. We stuck together from start to finish.

What got to me was when the results came out: Two guys that started in group X won the 40km! They were 2 minutes faster than the guy that went over the line first.

Now what I am wondering is how the hell is it possible to start in group X and do a 1:25 in the 40km having to pass all the people in groups Z, Y, etc. Espicially with all the single track!!!

The race organisers just said: Tough. Deal with it!