Cleaning and lubricating STI,s

Hobot

Hi Hubbers

I want to find out what is the best way to clean sti,s and lube them. I,ve noticed a gunk build up and what to get rid of it. And lastly I cycle close to the sea, and don't want the parts to start coroding. So before I do anything I need to hear what you hubbers suggest. Thanks in advance

Just put the comma in the correct place and Google the answer. There are many hits to choose from

"Cleaning and lubricating STI's"

here I got this on the web

When STI becomes problematic, fails to shift well...after making sure

the issue isn't cables/housing/under BB guide, we use the 'STI repair

kit' on many levers. Flush with aerosol Prolink, while shifting up and

down...makes many smoother, better and 'repair' a few that will not

shift up to smaller cogs w/o having the big lever travel with it.

but that is only to do if the problem is shifting I only put and drop of oil on the pivot area.

Good squirt of Wynflo/n does the trick, about every 3- 6 months depending on your riding and conditions. Available from any DIY or Builders Warehouse. About 40 bucks I think.

Just put the comma in the correct place and Google the answer. There are many hits to choose from

"Cleaning and lubricating STI's"

I would love to see what Google spits out for that one :D

that....

Spray grease does the trick,give them a good soaking! I have a pair of RSX 7sp units start to give problems at around 55,000miles(yes thats right) they now have since done around another 15,000miles after the soaking,no more problems.

My opinion is just that.

Of course not everybody is always intelligent enough to sort out the crap from the things that will not work. Read this link:-

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-shimano-sti-shifters-and-brake-levers/

How do I clean the Shimano STI shifters and brake levers on my bicycle? My road bike STI shifters and brake levers get gunked up with road grime and sweat and eventually the up-shift won’t work because the ratchet is stuck. Cleaning with degreaser seems to just wash the gunk further into the shifter, plus it coats the contacts of the gear position sensors so the flight-deck computer no longer works because it doesn’t see the correct gear setting.

Table of Contents:

1.You Will Need

2.Steps to Clean the Shifters and Brake Levers

3.Additional Tips and Ideas

Shimano STI systems require regular maintenance to function properly. Degreaser is the right approach to remove the dirt and grease, but it may take more to flush it completely out of the inner workings. Follow the guidelines below to give it a thorough cleaning so it will function at top performance.

You Will Need:

■Aerosol degreaser such as:

■Finishline Citrus Degreaser

■Clean Streak by White Lightening

■Tools to remove covers

■Air compressor (optional)

■Oil based lubricant

■Tri-Flow

■Dry Teflon Lube by Finish Line

Steps to Clean the Shifters and Brake Levers:

1.Use the aerosol degreaser to spray away any dirt and grease build-up from the interior workings of the system. Either of the degreasers above will work, however, Clean Streak is stronger and works better to melt down heavy grease build-up.

2.Next, remove the faceplate on the front and the cover over the shifter. Do NOT disassemble any of the mechanism itself as it is nearly impossible to put it together again. ONLY remove the covers. This will give you better access for a more thorough cleaning.

3.Use the aerosol degreaser again to remove any additional dirt and grease build-up that you may find.

4.If you have access to an air compressor, it may be helpful to use that as well to remove any remaining dirt and grease.

5.After you have sprayed the entire system and removed all (or as much as possible) of the dirt and grease, allow it to dry completely.

6.Now that all of the grease is removed, you have clean gears that need lubricant.

7.Apply an oil-based lubricant such as Tri-Flow, a teflon based oil lubricant, or Dry Teflon Lube by Finish Line.

8.Replace the covers and faceplate and it is ready for use.

Additional Tips and Ideas

■Avoid using WD-40 to clean the system as it contains too much lubricant. It removes the dirt and grease, but it never dries so the build-up quickly returns. It also coats the surface and can keep the system from functioning correctly.

■NEVER disassemble the inner-workings of the system as it is impossible to put it back together.

■When using the air compressor to clean the system, using 100 PSI should be sufficient.

■Malfunction due to dirt and grease build-up is a common problem for this system. If the problem is recurring and cannot be fixed, it may need to be replaced.

Disclaimer - eccentric1 does not take any blame for end user stupidity when using the information above.

Do NOT disassemble any of the mechanism itself as it is nearly impossible to put it together again. ONLY remove the covers.

Disclaimer - eccentric1 does not take any blame for end user stupidity when using the information above.

Glad that's in there! It is not nearly impossible, it is impossible to get that spring back in there once it has popped out! :lol: