What makes a really fast bike

goya-goya

This is perhaps as a result of my OCD... I cannot for the life of me phathom what the hell people are trying to say when they say their bike is really fast!

You wanna know something about physics: the only thing that makes the bike fast is the force that produces movement and the forces that resist it...

On a flat surface the geometry does squwat!!!

...and the only thing that makes a bike move is the force you create or gravity!

once it is moving there are factors that will resist the movement: friction... this can be found on your body, your hubs and your tyres.. i guess you BB too but that is confined to increasing speed or maintaining it.... if you wanna get really technical we can speak about air pressure, wind and gradient...

So when you sell a bike and you say it fast.. please say it is because the hubs are awesome or that the tyres have a low rolling resistance or that you are a freek on the bike...

The bloody bike cannot be fast!!!!!

humpf!

I can tell mine is really fast jsut looking at it, I'm too scared to even ride it

This is perhaps as a result of my OCD... I cannot for the life of me phathom what the hell people are trying to say when they say their bike is really fast!

You wanna know something about physics: the only thing that makes the bike fast is the force that produces movement and the forces that resist it...

On a flat surface the geometry does squwat!!!

...and the only thing that makes a bike move is the force you create or gravity!

once it is moving there are factors that will resist the movement: friction... this can be found on your body, your hubs and your tyres.. i guess you BB too but that is confined to increasing speed or maintaining it.... if you wanna get really technical we can speak about air pressure, wind and gradient...

So when you sell a bike and you say it fast.. please say it is because the hubs are awesome or that the tyres have a low rolling resistance or that you are a freek on the bike...

The bloody bike cannot be fast!!!!!

humpf!

The Rider!!! you got and good point!

Edited by Inusc

Well Newton would argue that the mass has some or other inversely proportional relationship with the force which contribute to the acceleration.

Besides that, you assume the bike is going in a straight line. On a mtb that's seldom the case, geometry and components make a big difference in handling, climbing, DH, etc.

A fast bike is the combination of the factors you have stated. One of them by themselves doesn't make a bike fast, they all do together.

Better get that OCD checked.

My bike is fast uphill, but then the fatties get faster on downhills. Can't win. Literally.

A really skinny 28 year old riding a really light bike wearing a 3L camelback filled with clenbuterol...

I like to mix a little Epo is there just to be sure!

When it is black. Everybody knows black bikes are faster period....

It is actually red bikes.

What about the guy that has just coughed up R2 900 for a stem. Surely a bike with an expensive stem like that must be faster than a bike with R250 stem.

What about the guy that has just coughed up R2 900 for a stem. Surely a bike with an expensive stem like that must be faster than a bike with R250 stem.

If you can get an ounce more performance out of you body, you start trying to squeeze it out of your bike. And those people are the ones wearing R1000 jeans when Woolworth jeans are R120. Using phones that cost R8000 ehn you get perfectly good ones for R1000. The list goes on.