One week before a race

Hi All

My apologies if this topic has been on here before. I have my first race coming up in a weeks time, and wanted to know what are the do,s and don't,s with regards to training, eating, supplements and sleep etc. Thanks in advance

The first rule is not to change anything:

- If you are eating a balanced healthy diet, stick to it.

- Don't change anything on your bike setup

- Don't fiddle with your race nutrition. Use what you use on training rides

- Don't service your bike too close to the event. If its working well, simply clean and lube the bike.

- Don't buy new equipment or spares. If your tyres were fine up to now, they should last the race too.

The second rule is to get plenty of rest

- Try to get 8 hours sleep a night

- Go for 2 quick rides at about 80% intensity (less than an hour each say Tuesday and Thursday)

Go prepared to the race

- Pack your race number, timing chip, cycling kit etc the night before

- Get there at least 30 to 45 minutes before the start to enable you to check the bike, get your cycling kit and spares on the bike and register

I reckon You, me and a few THOUSAND other cyclists are all tapering this week! - Ons gaan almal "Kringe in die Bos" (Circles in a forest) volgende naweek doen. For those going to Knysna all I can say is "Know your mushrooms" :lol:

The second rule is to get plenty of rest

- Try to get 8 hours sleep a night

In relation to this one, the most important night is two nights before the race. Try and get in a good night's sleep then. That way, if you get nervous and can't sleep properly the night before the race it doesn't matter too much.

My experience in pre-race drinks: Night before 2009 Knysna 50km, carbo-loaded with about 6 windhoeks, felt good the whole race finished in just over 3hrs. Night before 2010 race, due to some unforseen circumstances the only available pre-race drink was a single bottle of black lable, a pint to make matters worse. I started worrying about cramps and being slow! But, i finished in about 2hr20. Which leads me to believe that black lable aka zamalek is 6 x as strong as windhoek as a pre-race drink!

My experience in pre-race drinks: Night before 2009 Knysna 50km, carbo-loaded with about 6 windhoeks, felt good the whole race finished in just over 3hrs. Night before 2010 race, due to some unforseen circumstances the only available pre-race drink was a single bottle of black lable, a pint to make matters worse. I started worrying about cramps and being slow! But, i finished in about 2hr20. Which leads me to believe that black lable aka zamalek is 6 x as strong as windhoek as a pre-race drink!

KAAAAAAAAAK SNAAKS! LAG MY GAT AF

• 2 weeks later...

a pomp the night before and again on the morning of the race, or else its turns sour on a mtb ride.

Do what MorewoodMad says....... dont change anything. Keep race day like any other training day. Having a checklist ready for all your goodies is really helpful. At some stage you WILL forget something behind. Its inevitable, accept it.

Which leads me to believe that black lable aka zamalek is 6 x as strong as windhoek as a pre-race drink!

Zamalek for the win.