Candy X : How not to service :(

So I bought the Candy X 2009 pedals from CRC (R250 all inclusive: cost; VAT; duties; delivery) and got them in March. Very awesome pedals but notice lately I was struggling to clip in on my left side. Now I sprained my left ankle in March and when ever something goes wrong (like a loose left crank), I assumed it was my ankle.

Anyway, so this morning while cycling with littlest Hubber in her chair I noticed that I could no longer clip in and assumed it was the cleats being dirty from previous weeks Oak Valley (there is a reason why I cycle a MTB, I don't like washing bikes, or cars).

Get home and see the spring is the problem - so I decided to service it as what have I got to lose, not worth mailing it back to CRC not for the price. To get to the spring I naturally need to take everything apart.

So I figure out how to fix the problem and now I need to reassemble, this is the problem, it seems you cannot reassemble the pedal :(

So just a warning to all with Candy pedals, except for pulling out the spindle and replace the bearing, bush and seals, don't even touch the body assembly.

There are some vids on the Crankbrothers website that shows u how to service the pedals. Look at those.

Looked at all of them and none cover my dilemma. It seems one needs a special tool (?) to reassemble the body. Perhaps I need to upload photos tonight to explain the issue.

For what I paid for these pedals I'm not going to even bother spending money on them.

Well you got it apart - it should be able to be assembled......

That sounded like something my dad said to me as a kid, lol :lol: But youre right, if you took it apart you should be ablt to put it back together. You may need specific jigs and tools though.

CB - why not drop Crank Bros a mail. I've always had excellent service from them. They'll likely send you some new Candies as they do business the American way, which is to rather keep you riding on their products and happy.

That spring needs to be put in tensioned with a jig AFAIK.

CB - why not drop Crank Bros a mail. I've always had excellent service from them. They'll likely send you some new Candies as they do business the American way, which is to rather keep you riding on their products and happy.

That spring needs to be put in tensioned with a jig AFAIK.

Thanks, will give that a try but ordering a Shimano SPD from CWC as I'm going that way tomorrow. Need pedals before Die Burger MTB and last thing I want to do is fit them a few days before the race (talking from experience).

I've serviced those pedals a few times, including either cleaning and greasing the bearings or changing the bearings with new ones. Ive never taken the spring off though.

The one time I had to get the spring changed and I got Shamus (Crank bros) to do it. Dropped it off at LBS when he was going past there and got it that arvie. Wasn't a big deal. Maybe you can phone and check if he can make a plan.

P.S., the candys are so cheap on CRC now (R150 or so) I've bought a back up pair. Comes with cleats too, which replacements normally cost more than that by themselves.

Edited by Robrider

I've just order new Shimanos from CWC (brilliant service as always) and will collect them tomorrow.

For me cycling parts are consumable and I've learnt not to throw money at something thats broken, instead I must move on. Still love CBs and will order a replacement set (plus extra) end of next month.

Why not send me the pedals??

I am, after all, the South African Agent for Crank Brothers.

I keep all the spares in stock.... even discontinued pedals

So I bought the Candy X 2009 pedals from CRC (R250 all inclusive: cost; VAT; duties; delivery) and got them in March. Very awesome pedals but notice lately I was struggling to clip in on my left side. Now I sprained my left ankle in March and when ever something goes wrong (like a loose left crank), I assumed it was my ankle.

Anyway, so this morning while cycling with littlest Hubber in her chair I noticed that I could no longer clip in and assumed it was the cleats being dirty from previous weeks Oak Valley (there is a reason why I cycle a MTB, I don't like washing bikes, or cars).

Get home and see the spring is the problem - so I decided to service it as what have I got to lose, not worth mailing it back to CRC not for the price. To get to the spring I naturally need to take everything apart.

So I figure out how to fix the problem and now I need to reassemble, this is the problem, it seems you cannot reassemble the pedal :(

So just a warning to all with Candy pedals, except for pulling out the spindle and replace the bearing, bush and seals, don't even touch the body assembly.

Why not send me the pedals??

I am, after all, the South African Agent for Crank Brothers.

I keep all the spares in stock.... even discontinued pedals