WHY CANT THE WINTER MTB RACES START AT 9 am

hendrich

We al do this Nissan races and travel far to get there. That a side its f...ing cold at 7:30am to start a race.

I dont believe it is because they think that the race will end to late, your at the race for all of the day any way.

Yes an extra hour would make a huge difference an 8-30 or 9-00 start would make it a lot more enjoyable.

Weather adds an interesting dynamic to racing, extreme cold, heat, rain etc is part of any outdoors event package. Unless its dangerous, there is no need to change times of events.

Did the Bibberchill 70km on Saturday in Smithfield(about 130km from Bloem). We had a 10 o'clock start and temps were around 0 - 2 degrees at the starts and never saw it go above 7 throughout the ride!!! And do not even ask about the windchill...

I tend to be a bit of a draadsitter on this. Yes, weather etc. is part of the challenge but if its not a issue of not finishing before dark, why not start a bit later?

Did the Bibberchill 70km on Saturday in Smithfield(about 130km from Bloem). We had a 10 o'clock start and temps were around 0 - 2 degrees at the starts and never saw it go above 7 throughout the ride!!! And do not even ask about the windchill...

I tend to be a bit of a draadsitter on this. Yes, weather etc. is part of the challenge but if its not a issue of not finishing before dark, why not start a bit later?

Most people have lives outside of cycling. I'd rather be done riding by 1pm so that I can spend time at home with the family

Most people have lives outside of cycling. I'd rather be done riding by 1pm so that I can spend time at home with the family

I'm a rider and not a racer, and usually end up finishing a 'race' at the back anyway. When its a 'festival' race (where there is a whole lot going on besides cycling) the family comes along so I tend to do mostly those. Otherwise I guess its a personal decision, if its too early or too cold, just don't go. But yes MorewoodMad, time spent with the family is the most important.

But since the original post asks the question in relation to the cold and if I would have to vote, I'd say yes, overall, I would not mind starting an hour or so later.Especially in the Free State and probably Gauteng.

I think the problem with the big events such as the Nissan series is that there are multiple races on one day - e.g. Saturday had 70, 40, 20 and 10km races - all batched. If the 70km Elites started at 9:00 the 10km kiddies race would start very late indeed.

IMO the winter races are fine but the summer races should start earlier, not later...

Down south races get started at 09h00 in winter. You can sleep later, start in warmer temperatures and you do not have to run around in the pitch dark to do last minute route marking (the ones that tend to walk off during the night). I don't believe than an hour added to the finishing time can have such an adverse effect on anybody's life, but it does make life more comfortable for starting purposes.

Down south races get started at 09h00 in winter. You can sleep later, start in warmer temperatures and you do not have to run around in the pitch dark to do last minute route marking (the ones that tend to walk off during the night). I don't believe than an hour added to the finishing time can have such an adverse effect on anybody's life, but it does make life more comfortable for starting purposes.

This works fine if there are only 2 or 3 seeded start groups and only a 50km and a 20km race. Try do a marathon or ultra that starts 9am (and 6 seeded groups later you are off just before 10), ride for 7 hours on an ultra, finish at 5pm just before dark and then go home to your family and its a different story. I bet the races in George that starts at 9am is done by 2pm latest.