Breedt's Neck

RudoJ

My training partner and I want to attempt Breedt's Neck for the first time on Sunday as part of our preparations for the Karoo 2 Coast.

At this stage I'm at the end of my first month of regaining fitness after a 2

month lay-off and my training partner is quite fit. But we are no racing snakes, and just want to see where our fitness levels are at the moment. So we dont wanna race all the way, rather give it a good go and see what happens.

Anyone wishing to join, are more than welcome. We are definetely 2, maybe 4 riders at this stage. Starting 08:00 or 08:30

I would advise to ride from the Garage. Dirt road from Van Gaalens is not that interesting.

The climb (and descent) is the fun part, but its not that long. Altitude gain on the hill is about 250m from the front and 380m from the back. Its worth it to consider doing the climb twice - that would give 1400-1500m of climbing for the total ride, 4 to 5 hrs, which is good fittness preperation for a stage race.

If you do the climb once, its about 3hrs from the garage to the spaza shop and back at a decemt steady pace, 800m climbing in total.

Edited by Christie

O yes, take it easy on the first part of the descent down to the spaza shop. There were some big ruts and loose gravel when I last rode it, I went in fast and almost took a tumble :oops:

(on the other hand, descending at a speed where you "almost" wipe out may be considered by some as the best way to do it ;) )

Great, dankie Christie. Ons gaan vd garage af ry ja. Sal mooi uitkyk vir daai los klippe! Sal eers kyk hoe dit gaan Sondag en dan die laaste twee kere voor K2C dalk die klim twee keer doen! Thanks!!

What also works lekker is to do Breedts and then go straight pass the cars up Hekpoort and down. Hekpoort is 8km long with same elevation but takes you the same time than Breedts which is about 4.5km.

Alternatively park your cars at "cars" that new pub just before Hekpoort (on Krugersdorp's side) and ride from there. Lekker downhill to start before Breedts and all uphill from halfway mark back.

Wish I was fit then we could've done our Chicken2Chicken ride - Leave from Home of Chicken pie all the way to Peaconwood and back. About 85km but tons of variations to the route to make is longer or shorter, tougher or more strenuous :-)

Enjoy your training! Sounds like you're doing it right.

remember...there are always 3 costants on Breedts' long climb - the sun, a wind and a fly. Check Sunday and let me know :-)

Thanks Borriz,

Sunday wll serve as a benchmarking exercise to see where we are with regards to training. Think it will be tough, but will regard the ride as an outting. Nonetheless, will give it a good go!

Will keep a lookout for the sun, the wind and the fly! :thumbup:

I park at the foot of the short climb and then start riding. Less time wasted on the flats and quick access to cooler box.

Drove that way home last night from Kroondal, you are going to have fun! It was a real off road experience in one section!

remember...there are always 3 costants on Breedts' long climb - the sun, a wind and a fly. Check Sunday and let me know :-)

Sun: CHECK, WIND: BIG CHECK, especially at the top, Fly: NOPE :thumbup:

was good ride but saw that we need to up the training big time!

Was nice to meet Redline accompanied by wifey, and SimHen (Henry) as well, awesome dudes and thanks for a great ride :thumbup:

Was good fun Rudolph... Next time I am dragging you and Frans across the nek and down the other side... :D

• 9 months later...