To wash or not to wash that bike

Lounge Lizard

Cool or Cruel - to ride a dirty bike   

53 members have voted

1. 1. How clean do you keep your bikes ?

• Road bike - clean after every ride
    • - occasional wash
    • - only clean when its F#$%^g dirty
    • Mtb - just hose-off after a dirty ride
    • - soap and polish after every ride
    • - give it to LBS for clean-up
    • - soap/polish every couple'o weeks
    • - what ? am I suppose to wash it ?! ppfff !

Goes without saying that when you rock up at a road race or ride - your bike must be spotless clean.

But what about your MTB ? Just spent hours cleaning the 29er but I know its gonna get all dirty again tomorrow...is it worth washing the bloody thing so often ?

(and, what will the style guru say ?!)

Washing?? Baaaah humbug! :P

Did you hear about the farmer who won the tractor display competition?? He never cleaned his tractor until show day! The mud kept the paint from fading and protected it, everything in moderation :)

I've pitched up to a couple races with a dirty MTB, I couldn't give a toss! I do try and keep the bike clean but I'm not gonna go out of my way to keep it spotless, washing should take you as little time as possible because it's only gonna get dirty again!

If it takes you 5 mins to take 90% of the gunk off it's not worth spending an hour or 2 to get 100% of it off, unless you plan on giving it a service, then it helps!

I have noticed that keeping the bottom bracket clean does help avoid getting that nasty squeak from riding though too much mud.

It's like these clowns that spend every Saturday morning washing their cars, what a waste of time! My car gets a wash when I go through a puddle or it goes for a service :)

MTB and you're worried about what the style guru says? Epic Fail, is what your post is.

MTB and you're worried about what the style guru says? Epic Fail, is what your post is.

he he he ....its called irony dude ...chill

I only wash my MTB to prevent extra wear on parts, not really for the looks, it's going to get dirty again very soon anyway

he he he ....its called irony dude ...chill

Oh, ok, then, anything that goes offroad, jeep, mtb, motard, the gardener washes when they're dirty. Anything that goes on the road, road bike, and car, I wash and polish. (Oh, the dogs I wash as well, even though they go offroad with me on many trail runs, cause the big dog is nuts, and he'd eat my gardener, and I just can't face training another one in the fine art of mtb washing...)

Goes without saying that when you rock up at a road race or ride - your bike must be spotless clean.

But what about your MTB ? Just spent hours cleaning the 29er but I know its gonna get all dirty again tomorrow...is it worth washing the bloody thing so often ?

My 26er requires less than 10 minutes. Must be them big wheels that takes so long.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i actually enjoy washing my bike after a ride,not all the time but most of the time.spent a fair amount of money on the mtb so like to look after it.my 2 cents

We once asked the Staff Sergeant in the Army after the first day of three at the shooting range why whe should clean our rifles because we are going to shoot again the next day. His reply - "You do wipe your butt every time after you shyte dont you?"

So wash your bikes and keep them clean.

I think one of the most important reasons for washing your own car/bike is so you can see anything broken or about to break etc. Safety! Prevention is better than cure!

I think one of the most important reasons for washing your own car/bike is so you can see anything broken or about to break etc. Safety! Prevention is better than cure!

A dirty rifle in the Army may also kill you but a nobody would really notice a dirty butt after a few days in the bush!

Edited by eccentric1

I wash my bike 95 % after every ride (Ill skip if there was little dust and no mud which meant I did not ride hard enough).

It takes 15 minutes all up from clean green to pressure cleaner although those damn white rims are a pain. Wont make that mistake again. And I backwash the pool while the clean green works the grease

I mostly do it to see if all still looks good, what knocks I took, does the blades still look good and mostly - did the tires take any side cuts, and pull out thorns.

She deserves a reward if I had a good ride :thumbup:

I wash my bike 95 % after every ride (Ill skip if there was little dust and no mud which meant I did not ride hard enough).

It takes 15 minutes all up from clean green to pressure cleaner although those damn white rims are a pain. Wont make that mistake again. And I backwash the pool while the clean green works the grease

I mostly do it to see if all still looks good, what knocks I took, does the blades still look good and mostly - did the tires take any side cuts, and pull out thorns.

Also do check every now and then if the power washer has not flushed the grease from you headset, bottom bracket, wheelbearings, pedal bearings and freehub. This unhealthy practice could be expensive.

+1