streerer tube vs stem

Face Plant

is there a rule of thumb regarding the length that a steerer tube must go into a stem? meaning... my steerer is 7mm short of being flush with the top of my stem. Is is safe to run it like this?

Steerer 1-2mm from the top of the stem. With 7mm less the top bolt will not clamp the steerer properly. I'm talking alu steerer. Carbon steerer the steerer should actually stick out above the stem and you should us a 2mm spacer between the stem and stem cap.

I suggest leaving some spacers (about 5 to 10mm)above the stem clamp section an all forks. If you later want to replace the stem or headset the stack height will not be limiting. Also if you sell the bike to some long john he will have some room to move. I have a bike with about 5mm vacant space in the stem clamp and I think about it often - especially going down Hekpoort at 80kmph. I would also like to know the maximum safe limit.