Riding up single track in Tokai

david16v

Single track in Tokai  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ride the `downhill` and single track sections in Tokai?

• Yes - I ride down the `downhill` and Single tracks
    • Yes - I ride up the `downhill` and Single tracks
    • Yes - I ride up and down the `downhill` and Single tracks
    • Yes - I ride up and down the Single tracks and ONLY down on the `downhill`
    • No - I have no technical experience
    • No - Its too dangerous to ride up the `downhill` and Single track sections

Come on guys, lets see your answers!

There has been much debate going on in the past concerning the single tracks and `downhill` sections in Tokai.

Lets not have any angry or biased posts, lets keep it simple to just choosing an answer!

Please be honest! :clap:

Edited by david16v

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only ride up the singletrack when it's quiet - ie. when I'm unlikely to meet anyone coming down.

Riders going up must give way to traffic coming down - it's the common sense thing to do. Signs to this effect would be good.

:thumbdown: err, I think your 'poll' is missing some options. What about:

ride down the downhills, + up and down the singletracks?

Unless you're here to stir there should be no debate as to riding up the downhills.

:thumbdown: err, I think your 'poll' is missing some options. What about:

ride down the downhills, + up and down the singletracks?

Unless you're here to stir there should be no debate as to riding up the downhills.

Yes, I thought the same. I ride up singletrack. Riding up the downhill runs is out.

Post updated!

Please just keep it simple by choosing an answer.

Keep posts to a minimum as there are enough options available.

Would like to see how many cyclists (if voted honestly) are riding on the `more` technical trails which need more maintenance.

Edited by david16v

I only ride up the singletrack when it's quiet - ie. when I'm unlikely to meet anyone coming down.

Riders going up must give way to traffic coming down - it's the common sense thing to do. Signs to this effect would be good.

You can ride up the singletracks any time you like except that riders coming down have to give way to ascenders. This is standard and accepted worldwide.

You can ride up the singletracks any time you like except that riders coming down have to give way to ascenders. This is standard and accepted worldwide.

That doesn't make sense. Isn't this the same set of rules that requires us to use bells? I recall this being discussed ad nauseum on another thread.

What catagory does the Bridal Way fall under? I passed someone riding up it on Saturday. I think this should be a no-no.

That doesn't make sense. Isn't this the same set of rules that requires us to use bells? I recall this being discussed ad nauseum on another thread.

Its easier to get going again when you're going downhill, as opposed to uphill. Yielding to ascenders is the IMBA norm (except where trails are marked in one direction).

Its easier to get going again when you're going downhill, as opposed to uphill.

Yes, I agree. But if it's a choice between the inconvenience of having to learn to clip in on an uphill, and the inconvenience of a ride in the ambulance, I know which one I would choose.

Yes, I agree. But if it's a choice between the inconvenience of having to learn to clip in on an uphill, and the inconvenience of a ride in the ambulance, I know which one I would choose.

See what you did there? Descenders yield for ascenders. Don't try to confuse things.

Perhaps we should make it even easier.

Rules of the Trail

IMBA developed the "Rules of the Trail" to promote responsible and courteous conduct on shared-use trails. Keep in mind that conventions for yielding and passing may vary in different locations, or with traffic conditions.

1.Ride Open Trails: Respect trail and road closures — ask a land manager for clarification if you are uncertain about the status of a trail. Do not trespass on private land. Obtain permits or other authorization as required. Be aware that bicycles are not permitted in areas protected as state or federal Wilderness.

2.Leave No Trace: Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones. When the trail is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.

3.Control Your Bicycle: Inattention for even a moment could put yourself and others at risk. Obey all bicycle speed regulations and recommendations, and ride within your limits.

4.Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

5.Never Scare Animals: Animals are easily startled by an unannounced approach, a sudden movement or a loud noise. Give animals enough room and time to adjust to you. When passing horses, use special care and follow directions from the horseback riders (ask if uncertain). Running cattle and disturbing wildlife are serious offenses.

6.Plan Ahead: Know your equipment, your ability and the area in which you are riding and prepare accordingly. Strive to be self-sufficient: keep your equipment in good repair and carry necessary supplies for changes in weather or other conditions. Always wear a helmet and appropriate safety gear.

Simple, really.

Edited by DJR

What catagory does the Bridal Way fall under? I passed someone riding up it on Saturday. I think this should be a no-no.

no idea why ppl want to ride up those . Fun coming down though :clap:

This trail is classed as singletrack, so riders are allowed to ride up it as well, and you coming down will need to yield for them. This means moving off the path. It's tricky on sections of this trail, so I see your point there.