Dodgy Deal

WernerLouwBosman

Hey Fellow Hubbers

I would rather be telling you about my brilliant weekend ride, than to warn you about a scammer, but please take note!

I'm quite new to the hub and posted my second hand bike for sale on Monday...The first reply was from a Wayne, asking me to phone him "inconection" with the sale.

I phoned, he asked the size (which was posted in the add) end whether it was in good condition, and immediately said he will purchase the bike. He would pay with an EFT and I must then deliver the bike to Kensington in JHB...

Impossible not to see that this is a huge scam.

The number he used was 0820776097.

I haven't replied since.

Can't believe such chance takers exist & that they actually get away with it!

Kind Regards!

Hey Fellow Hubbers

I would rather be telling you about my brilliant weekend ride, than to warn you about a scammer, but please take note!

I'm quite new to the hub and posted my second hand bike for sale on Monday...The first reply was from a Wayne, asking me to phone him "inconection" with the sale.

I phoned, he asked the size (which was posted in the add) end whether it was in good condition, and immediately said he will purchase the bike. He would pay with an EFT and I must then deliver the bike to Kensington in JHB...

Impossible not to see that this is a huge scam.

The number he used was 0820776097.

I haven't replied since.

Can't believe such chance takers exist & that they actually get away with it!

Kind Regards!

Why was it a scam??

Don't always be so suspecious.

I've had people say they will take a bike just like that.

However I always insist that they organise the delivery and that the EFT is cleared in my account before it gets delivered (I leave the bike at a reputable bike shop in the interim to protect them as well).

Haven't had a problem yet.

I'm not saying don't be careful, but just that this particular instant might not be a scam. It might just be someone who knows what they want and are really keen to get it.

i might be reading this wrong, but did he want you to post the bike or personally deliver it?

if posting was asked, then just wait for the money to reflect in your account before posting? safest bet (can even confirm with bank), or if it is a delivery case then ask for cash in hand?

Don't always be so suspecious.

I've had people say they will take a bike just like that.

However I always insist that they organise the delivery and that the EFT is cleared in my account before it gets delivered (I leave the bike at a reputable bike shop in the interim to protect them as well).

Haven't had a problem yet.

I'm not saying don't be careful, but just that this particular instant might not be a scam. It might just be someone who knows what they want and are really keen to get it.

ok you managed to jump the gun before me lol :lol:

The OP's initial post doesn't necessarily point towards a scam. A little Googling for "082 077 6097" turns up this, though:

Beware I advertised a fridge in the junk mail Roger Mdluli Nedbank Savings Account 1008192759 contact numbers 072 410 9529 and 082 077 6097 did a scam on me and took the fridge and the money out of my account if you need more info call me i will explain everything to you do not let people put the money in your account CASH ONLY

http://webcache.goog...ww.google.co.za

Very suspicious. Seems 'Wayne' might also be called Roger.

Edited by Edman

he said he would pay via EFT, then when the cash is in your bank, then you deliver.

that is what is reads like.

i would be very carefull handing out a cell phone number, with such little fact.

edit: appears as though edman has provided additional fact.

Werner.

This flippen place never seizes to amaze me.

You post a very good topic and come here in goodwill because you might have done a little more homework.

Then the self righteous brigade start hopping on your back about being suspicious.

FWIW

The cell number you posted is involved in many scams, particularly in the Hi-Fi game.

It belongs to an Indian chap who the uses black dudes to do collections for him etc.etc.etc.....

The cops are already after these dudes, well done for having the goolies to post it.

You've got to love the power of Google! :clap:

Yup I just google(d) my number and it came up with ads of years ago..

as soon as I read that you are supposed to deliver the bike I thought that was enough proof of a scam.

Crooks always want to take your money with the least amount of effort, please bring me your bike and your cash... wtf... also, if you try a banking scam, please go the "extra mile" and add a absa or standard logo?

Good on you for posting a headsup :thumbup: