Concerned HR Max

I have been a "semi-serious" mountain biker now for about a year - entering races and such, but my concern stared a few months ago when I told 1 of the guys at my work what my average HR over a 30Km race was 185 bpm (I am 34yrs old so the old method of 220 - 34 = 186) so my Max HR should be 184, but this seems to be my norm....

They said that , that was quite high and that if their HR goes anything over 170 they feel like falling off their bike

I stated asking the other cyclists here at work and they all seem to agree with the fact that my HR is way to high and I should really be taking it a bit more easy, but when I cycle I'm normally in the middle of the pack, buy way out of breath.

I would just like to ask if this is something I should get checked out ? Or should I be more concerned ? Or just forget it and keep on riding smile.gif ?

that formula.. take it and throw it out the window.. its rubbish doesn’t work.

I’m 31 years old.. max recorded heart rate achieved.. 231bpm......

and can sustain a heart rate of 200bpm for half an hour easy.

everybody is different the fact that your buddies can get there’s as high means nothing.

but if you want to train more effectively go get yourself tested. so you know where your zones are,

Thanks Guys. Really appreciate the input. Am learning lots ! Okay, so, will definitely have to adjust mt polar then. I have an FT80 and have set it up according to the "220- age" rule. Guess I'll need to adjust that now....

My max is calculated at 185 too...but I can sustain 180 for over an hour without any issues. My 1:40 ave training rides will return an average of 178 bpm typically. I was worried, but not anymore. When I first started my calculated was 189, but I frequented 220 to 230 on the uphills. I am still alive, and best of all, I am not nearly as hypertensive as I used to be. :thumbup:

Time to measure your own max:

Take longish, steady uphill, ride harder harder and harder till at max...THEN SPRINT till collapse and vomit. Remeber to look down at HR monitor before collapse.

I took me about a year to work out my max HR. I just wish people would stop looking at that and think they are going to die when they get close to that number!!!

When you race - forget about that hing on your bike/arm. Your body will tell you when you are going to hard!

An interesting read here about why your heart rate will be much higher at races .....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/racing-with-a-heart-rate-monitor/188.html

"Racing is clearly different from ordinary fast running, and it's largely because in a race, your heart rate is affected by more than just the amount of work your body is doing. One of the major influences is thought to be arousal and the associated adrenaline surge that accompanies a competitive situation, though this has yet to be scientifically established.

If you did use your HRM in a race and paced yourself according to your training rates, you'd probably be holding yourself back rather than gaining an edge. For a start, the anticipation and adrenaline we've mentioned will give you artificially high heart rate readings, which won't reflect your pace. In addition, you'll often find that in a race situation you can maintain a higher heart rate than you're used to anyway."

Time to measure your own max:

Take longish, steady uphill, ride harder harder and harder till at max...THEN SPRINT till collapse and vomit. Remeber to look down at HR monitor before collapse.

Thanks laugh.gif I'll give it my all and then in my dazed 'n confused state will check my HR - only jokes. I'll definitely go for a nice long uphill and then as you say, harder, and then harder still......Will let you know how it all turns out. Going for a ride on Sat hehe

Thanks laugh.gif I'll give it my all and then in my dazed 'n confused state will check my HR - only jokes. I'll definitely go for a nice long uphill and then as you say, harder, and then harder still......Will let you know how it all turns out. Going for a ride on Sat hehe

You need competition to get you there.

If you don't have a (stronger) friend to chase up the hill, chase a bus or truck.

Well im 34 as well so this will be relevant to you. Fisrt off that formula is crappy. My is tested in a lab and is actually 196 so dont read to much into that formula.

Secondly i never average below 170 for any race. My races avg anything from 172 to 178 does not matter how long the race is. I think that you should not worry too much about this. Some people like you and me just run at higher revs :thumbup:

My max is calculated at 185 too...but I can sustain 180 for over an hour without any issues. My 1:40 ave training rides will return an average of 178 bpm typically. I was worried, but not anymore. When I first started my calculated was 189, but I frequented 220 to 230 on the uphills. I am still alive, and best of all, I am not nearly as hypertensive as I used to be. :thumbup:

Yeah, agreed. I think I'm over-analyzing the whole "heart-rate" debate. I should stop being so concerned and just ride and enjoy. Thanks for your input thumbup1.gif Awesome

Well im 34 as well so this will be relevant to you. Fisrt off that formula is crappy. My is tested in a lab and is actually 196 so dont read to much into that formula.

Secondly i never average below 170 for any race. My races avg anything from 172 to 178 does not matter how long the race is. I think that you should not worry too much about this. Some people like you and me just run at higher revs :thumbup:

Brilliant. Thanks a mil clap.gif Think I will need to re-calibrate my Polar FT80 according to the 3 zones again (sigh). My last funride was on Sunday (35Km) and my average HR was 186 so I'll need to up my max HR. Any suggestions on what the 3 zones would look like ? Start and end HR's for each zone...

I'm 46, and regularly and easily push my max hr into the high 180's on training rides. In races in easily goes up to the mid 190's. My avg hr in races is also in the mid to high 170 range. (highest recorded hr in a race is 202 0n my Polar)

I'm not the fastest around, but not a slouch either. (fastest 94.7 is 2:47, Hyper to Hyper/Fast One is 2:32, Lost city 2:45, Argus 3:07, Burger 2:57, etc)

When I'm in peak form my resting HR is in the region of 48 - 50 bpm, so I have quite a high Heart Rate Reserve.

Best is to have your true max HR calculated, either scientificaly or with one of the methods described by another poster.

I'm 46, and regularly and easily push my max hr into the high 180's on training rides. In races in easily goes up to the mid 190's. My avg hr in races is also in the mid to high 170 range. (highest recorded hr in a race is 202 0n my Polar)

I'm not the fastest around, but not a slouch either. (fastest 94.7 is 2:47, Hyper to Hyper/Fast One is 2:32, Lost city 2:45, Argus 3:07, Burger 2:57, etc)

When I'm in peak form my resting HR is in the region of 48 - 50 bpm, so I have quite a high Heart Rate Reserve.

Best is to have your true max HR calculated, either scientificaly or with one of the methods described by another poster.

Thanks. I just called the Sports Science Institute in Newlands now and it will cost R750 for 1 hour of work to calculate your V02 max. A bit expensive, but I guess that if that's the only true way of doing it then a "once-off" visit will be okay.

Mmmmm will have to think on this for a few months while I save up :)

that formula.. take it and throw it out the window.. its rubbish doesn’t work.

I’m 31 years old.. max recorded heart rate achieved.. 231bpm......

and can sustain a heart rate of 200bpm for half an hour easy.

everybody is different the fact that your buddies can get there’s as high means nothing.

but if you want to train more effectively go get yourself tested. so you know where your zones are,

Damn that's high!You must have a really small heart :P