Hygia Disk Brakes - Elite or other

Monark

I see that they are sold on the forum but no one seems to rave about them.

On Mtbr they get very good reviews.

Who has them, which model and are you ranting or raving...

Received my set of SLP's yesterday. Still need to put them on the bike, but out the box look really good, and incredibly light! Great service from Francois as well thumbup1.gif

I'll post a review as soon as I've put them through their paces on the PMB World Cup Course. rolleyes.gif

Thanks my man. I am very keen to see what you have to say. I am running a mix of SLX, XT and XTR brakes and am very happy but they are not light at all!

The Merida came with entry level Deore hydro brakes and might upgrade to Hygia Elites if they are any good.

Been riding with the Elite Carbon for more than a year now and not bad at all the standard pads they come with are not great but changed those when required and made a big diff.

Other potential problem is the little plungers in the levers get sticky, so when you pull the lever it does not jump back, little oil spray and all good, could be the dry dusty conditions in JHB and washes in the wet season.

But apart from that good, brakes no other problems

Hi

Any updates?

Have either of you ridden with SLX brakes? How do these compare?

Took my SLP's for their first proper ride today...

Still trying to make up my mind about them, as they have a very different feel to my solid old Deores. Setup was really easy, but they are feeling a bit spongey out the box - may need a good bleeding (which should not be the case with a new set of brakes). They do have a nice modulated feel about them though... Not the grab or nothing of some brands.

Then again I am 90kgs plus on a good day, running 160mm rotors on 29er wheels - still more than enough stopping power in some of the hairiest sections I could find...

Hi

Great to hear. Are you running the braided hoses and XT/XTR pads?

Bike?

Please let us have another impression after you have had them on the bike for a while.

Really starting to enjoy mine... more than enough power. i am running them on a Chumba 29er hardtail. I think a 180mm rotor is definitely needed on the front end (had a 185mm before), but that is a given for any brakes on a 29er at my size! Levers are nice and small - easy one finger braking. Still running the std organic pads and rotors - will change to sintered as soon as i wear through these or the rains arrive. Going to have to give them a good bleeding at some stage though - still a bit spongey for my liking...