Decision made: Help please, to sell or to keep

KnobbyMech

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do I:

• Sell my 26" now
    • Keep the 26" for emergencies
    • Sell both and buy a better 29"
    • Keep it and ride/race it

I have a great Giant Anthem with mostly 2009/2010 XTR components and wheels and a SID world cup fork. I recently bought a Giant XTC 29" hardtail and upgraded the wheels to American classic. I find that I rarely ride the Anthem these days and haven't raced it since the XTC purchase.

What do you recommend? Thanks

Please note: there are not a "sell the 29"" option, but I you so wish, flame away.

Edited by KnobbyMech

I have a great Giant Anthem with mostly 2009/2010 XTR components and wheels and a SID world cup fork. I recently bought a Giant XTC 29" hardtail and upgraded the wheels to American classic. I find that I rarely ride the Anthem these days and haven't raced it since the XTC purchase.

Please note: there are not a "sell the 29"" option, but I you so wish, flame away.

Would be interesting to see the results with a "Sell the 29"" option...

sounds like you downgraded?

Dude , Keep the 26" . this debate can go on and on................ but to me each bike has its place .

My world has the following:

26" dual (cross country , technical racing)

26" SS (for what ever)

Road Bike (obvious)

and soon to join the 29" hard tail (flat open marathons)

KnobbyMech, I am not surprised that you have'nt touched the Anthem since your XTC purchase. I went through the same process, had an awesom full susser with small wheels, then got a super light S-Works Stumpy with nice big hoops, and did'nt want to ride the full susser anymore, just did'nt make sense. I quest for the same reason I stopped listening to casettes since the discovery of CD's. My advice, loose the 26er as soon as possible, while there are still unconverted fools who will pay top dollar for it, cause in a very short while they will follow the same route as the old Beta video casette. Nothing wrong with you XTC, but it is always nice to pick a bike from the top shelves, so if you can cash in on the Anthem, why not shop around for a carbon beauty!

Keep it. A man can never have to many bikes.

Horses for courses man. There will come a day that you wished you had:

1. Toilet paper

2. News paper

3. 5 x R10 notes

4. One more bike

Keep it. A man can never have to many bikes.

Horses for courses man. There will come a day that you wished you had:

1. Toilet paper

2. News paper

3. 5 x R10 notes

4. One more bike

There you have it , a cyclist with one bike is like a golfer with one club! ;)

KnobbyMech, I am not surprised that you have'nt touched the Anthem since your XTC purchase. I went through the same process, had an awesom full susser with small wheels, then got a super light S-Works Stumpy with nice big hoops, and did'nt want to ride the full susser anymore, just did'nt make sense. I quest for the same reason I stopped listening to casettes since the discovery of CD's. My advice, loose the 26er as soon as possible, while there are still unconverted fools who will pay top dollar for it, cause in a very short while they will follow the same route as the old Beta video casette. Nothing wrong with you XTC, but it is always nice to pick a bike from the top shelves, so if you can cash in on the Anthem, why not shop around for a carbon beauty!

Thanks. You have the hottest bike (imo) on the hub. That will be the ultimate, but I will need to sell a couple more bikes to afford that. If there is one thing I really miss about the 26" dual is the sweet soft landings after jumps.

Knobby - why don't you sell the DS 26er and get a sweeet all mountain rig? For those days that you just wanna have FUN!

Good point! Thought about that. What do you recommend for around R18k? 5" or 6" travel?

Dude, do you have to ask?! :blink: ;)

Definitely a 6. Something like a Reign or a Da Bomb Cherry Bomb. Try just selling the frame & fork of your anthem, then porting all the parts over!

Or, you could look at obike.co.za and see what deals they have on Mongoose Bootr's and Pinnr's. GOOD DEALS for a new bike! And they're strong as well.

Thanks. You have the hottest bike (imo) on the hub. That will be the ultimate, but I will need to sell a couple more bikes to afford that. If there is one thing I really miss about the 26" dual is the sweet soft landings after jumps.

Thanx for the compliment, I really enjoy that bike. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks to all who participated and gave their advise.

I made a (hard) decision. I rode both bikes on lekker downhill singletrack this Saturday. Now I realize that I am now used to the 29" with wider handlebars etc. but I just never felt as fast or as in control and steady as on the 29". I loved the soft ride of the 26" dually though.

Fact is I enjoyed the 29" more and to be true to myself, I will properly never again pick the 26" dually as weapon of choise for any race and can benefit from some cash in the pocket now.

Thus I decided to sell the Anthem and save the bucks for either a proper 29" XC dual suspension frame or in future buy a complete light 29" dually. I can even sell the XTC if I go for this option.

In the meanwhile lets see what 2012 brings in bike choice.

Edited by KnobbyMech