How hard and technical is Tokai?

W1Z@RD

I have been riding MTB for 3 months (primarily a roadie) and from JHB, so ride the spruit and Teak often. How does Tokai compare to Teak Blue? Will I survive or is it that MUCH more difficult from an elevation and technical point of view?

There's something for everyone at Tokai. Come ride!

Im there on Saturday... cannot wait!

I have been riding MTB for 3 months (primarily a roadie) and from JHB, so ride the spruit and Teak often. How does Tokai compare to Teak Blue? Will I survive or is it that MUCH more difficult from an elevation and technical point of view?

From an elevation point of view - if you ride up to the mast, you'll be ascending 950 m in 11km. 600m of that is in the last 5 or so.

From a technical point of view, it caters to all. And I mean ALL. Hell, there's Downhill specific sections, which can be quite gnarly at the best of times. There's rutted sections where a load of muppets have dragged their rears instead of their fronts, thinking that they're 6 again and it's cool. (quoting Brian Lopes - It stopped being cool in 6th grade) There's gap jumps, rocky dropoffs, rooty dropoffs, lekker flowing, not so technical stuff, flowy technical track, loose rock over hardpack, wagon trail and a bucnh of tar near the top.

Truly, guy, you won't get bored. Well, you shouldn't. If you do, you're doing something wrong.

Come on over!!! It'll be the best R 35 you EVER spend! (unless you had a happy ending in Thailand, that is)

LOL. Those Thai happy endings tend to come back & bite you later, a lot worse than Tokai could ever bite. All hearsy of course.

What the grb said.

I'm from Jhb as well but have ridden Tokai a few times. Compared to Teak and Groenkloof, it's very much on the same level but a LOT more. Also your gradients are more extreme (for lack of a better phrase)

You'll love it though, it really is one of CT's jewels!

What the grb said.

I'm from Jhb as well but have ridden Tokai a few times. Compared to Teak and Groenkloof, it's very much on the same level but a LOT more. Also your gradients are more extreme (for lack of a better phrase)

You'll love it though, it really is one of CT's jewels!

hmm, it's top shelf compared to Groenkloof. Tokai is vastly superior.

+1

Okay, now I'm just being a snob. But I have my reasons. Tokai is 5 min away by car (highway) 20 by bike. Groenies - well, it's a helluva lot further.

But Tokai is better. :thumbup:

There are some gnarly singletrack climbs, I hear. So steep that, even though they are perfectly rideable climbs, I am told you need body armor to go down them. :)

There are some gnarly singletrack climbs, I hear. So steep that, even though they are perfectly rideable climbs, I am told you need body armor to go down them. :)

Ha, Ha, certainly looks like that if you beleive everything you see on zany planet Hub.

i wonder if eldron's still gonna take up Crow's challenge to come bomb here in the cape.. Maybe Wizard's Eldron's scout :P

Well got to ride Tokai on Saturday. It was dark, cold and raining down.... but the most amazing ride I ever had!

What an amazing place! Makes me wanna move to CT even more. Never seen anything more beautiful.

As far as the technical aspect is concerned, It's alot more technical than Teak.. but perhaps it felt that way due to the rain and the routes my mate took me on. Two bails later.... and him having to wait for me

I also finally realised what a granny gear is for!! Holy S... there are some steep climbs trying to get to the top

All in all a great experience! Will def be doing it again on my trips down :)

No doubt, the riding is vastly superior. The trails are more or less the same, but the ups and downs change the dynamic a helluva lot, reckon if Groenies had the same gradients to their trails it would be very close to Tokai. Just what I've experienced from the few rides at Tokai, which sure as hell needs more exploration :drool:

• 3 weeks later...

I started mtb in ct at places like tokai. when i came back to pta i basically got depressed when i went to groenkloof. You cant compare the 2. Groenkloof is like the spruitjie i rode on my way to school when i was 10. cape trails are on a whole nother level.