Dual Sus 29er

MeridaKTM

Hi

1st week in March I had a fairly seriuos back op - replaced L3/4 and L4/5 discs with titanium. Recovery has been great barring a few niggles here and there. I've been the given the green light by my doc and can finally start riding again - slowly. I've decided to sell my Merida Team D and my Cotic. I want a dual sus 29er.

The question is what to buy. Any suggestions.

welcome to hub, and i'm glad to hear your back on the bike after a hectic surgery like that :)

well from what i've seen

the giant anthem 29er seems to be pretty popular

also take a look at the specialized it also looks like a good bike (seeing that you already had top end bikes before)

and i see scott is about to bring out there duel sus 29er range in their 2012 bikes.

other then that, is all that i can think of off the top of my head, i dont own a 29er so cant really comment on what is good, is just what i have seen at races and heard about

Edited by brad890

welcome to hub, and i'm glad to hear your back on the bike after a hectic surgery like that :)

well from what i've seen

the giant anthem 29er seems to be pretty popular

also take a look at the specialized it also looks like a good bike (seeing that you already had top end bikes before)

and i see scott is about to bring out there duel sus 29er range in their 2012 bikes.

other then that, is all that i can think of off the top of my head, i dont own a 29er so cant really comment on what is good, is just what i have seen at races and heard about

Thanks - much appreciated. I looked at the Specialized but I was advised there is no stock in the country, not sure if that's true.

Thanks - much appreciated. I looked at the Specialized but I was advised there is no stock in the country, not sure if that's true.

Which one were you looking at? Epic FSR Comp?

Yup - that's the one.

According to Specialized they are out of stock http://www.specialized-sa.co.za/contentbike.php?range=200&year=&bike=223 so you will have to find a dealer that has one in stock. I bought mine from the Concept Cyclery store in Melrose Arch. It is a great bike. Only thing not great is the rear hubs and they are Specialized Syntace 142 hubs and the KMC chain I personally do not like. Bought a Hope Pro 2 Evo rear hub and Spokeworks is busy rebuilding it. Chain was simply replaced with SLX as the cassete is SLX.

Rode the Trek Superfly 100 for a few weeks. Have to say, it really surprised me and is a nippy and agile bike. If that's the kind of handling you like on a bike.

Relatively well priced as well, specially for a frame from the US.

Maybe a consideration/

http://www.cyclelab.com/products/TREK%20GARY%20FISHER%20COLLECTION%20HIFI%20DELUXE%2029er%20-%202011.aspx

http://www.cyclelab.com/products/TREK%20GARY%20FISHER%20COLLECTION%20SUPERFLY%20100%20ELITE%2029er%20-%202011.aspx

According to Specialized they are out of stock http://www.specialized-sa.co.za/contentbike.php?range=200&year=&bike=223 so you will have to find a dealer that has one in stock. I bought mine from the Concept Cyclery store in Melrose Arch. It is a great bike. Only thing not great is the rear hubs and they are Specialized Syntace 142 hubs and the KMC chain I personally do not like. Bought a Hope Pro 2 Evo rear hub and Spokeworks is busy rebuilding it. Chain was simply replaced with SLX as the cassete is SLX.

A friend of mine suggested I try them. I'll give them a call. If I may ask what did you pay? I was keen on the Sanracruz Tall Boy.

Rode the Trek Superfly 100 for a few weeks. Have to say, it really surprised me and is a nippy and agile bike. If that's the kind of handling you like on a bike.

Relatively well priced as well, specially for a frame from the US.

Maybe a consideration/

http://www.cyclelab.com/products/TREK%20GARY%20FISHER%20COLLECTION%20HIFI%20DELUXE%2029er%20-%202011.aspx

http://www.cyclelab.com/products/TREK%20GARY%20FISHER%20COLLECTION%20SUPERFLY%20100%20ELITE%2029er%20-%202011.aspx

Thanks danger dassie. Are you aware of any complaints regarding the frame "cracking"?

Yeah I have heard of a few, although on older models. I believe this has been resolved though, considering the bike I rode is a demo bike which has seen many riders and mileage, no reason to believe otherwise.

Remember, the Cannondale Scalpel had similar issues, which the big C resolved. Also a beaut bike, albeit more race orientated, imo.

Giant Anthem X 29 @ just under R30k is pretty good value for money.

Santa Cruz Tallboys look nice and are pretty popular.

The new Scott Spark 29'er is worth a look as well. Not in the county yet though.

So many more options are available for 2012.

Happy shopping and post pics of what you bought!

Anthem X 29 is the best value at the moment (I'm biased because I have one!).

As Splat says there are a number of fantastic-looking new bikes coming in 2012 - e.g. Scott (Spark 29), Cannondale (Scalpel 29) and Niner (Jet 9 Carbon) - if you can afford to wait and have the moolah

I will wait another month until the Scott comes out going to be one of the best 29er duals on the market, have a look at Cannondale to

Hi

1st week in March I had a fairly seriuos back op - replaced L3/4 and L4/5 discs with titanium. Recovery has been great barring a few niggles here and there. I've been the given the green light by my doc and can finally start riding again - slowly. I've decided to sell my Merida Team D and my Cotic. I want a dual sus 29er.

The question is what to buy. Any suggestions.

Fellow Hubbers

Thank you for the feed back. I've been riding since last year March and still have so much to learn - so I appreciate the info. If I can find one I'm going for the Specialzed. Anyone out there want to sell one?

Will post pics soon.