Shafted by Gumtree plonkers.!

Thomo

Not once, but twice in as many weeks.

Offered to purchase some goods and in both instances offer was accepted.

Yet when calling to finalise collection, I get told "sorry, goods are sold".

PLONKERS.!

At least the Hubbers are more reliable ...

Not once, but twice in as many weeks.

Offered to purchase some goods and in both instances offer was accepted.

Yet when calling to finalise collection, I get told "sorry, goods are sold".

PLONKERS.!

At least the Hubbers are more reliable ...

yup thehub is way better!

Not out of pocket

Well, that's one good thing.

Personally, I never go near bumtree.

Its not called scumtree for a reason, but generally the buyers and the sellers there are equially reliable so they will accept all the offers till the first guy with the cash shows up.

I stay away from gumtree simply because so many people have been defrauded due to their lacks security measures. And so much of the goods on there is stolen.

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing has been done to me by hubbers...

Had my first negative experience with a Hubber.

A case of "if the deal looks too good, it probably is ..."

I probably should have known better.

So yes, it happens everywhere ... even on the Hub.! :angry:

Edited by Thomo

I must have got luck then, advertised our old car for sale around 9am, by 1pm the phone was going nuts and by 2pm the car was sold, cash deal. But I have also seen a couple of cheap mountain bikes that I thought would be a good buy for spares alone and then the guys never come back to you...

So the Hub is NOT so much better

No, the Hub is generally a good place to buy and sell, and most of the names are familiar even though you may never have met the person.

Unfortunately, there's always someone/something that could change that perception.

Had some mixed experiences with gumtree sellers, guess that's to be expected when there are all sorts advertising.

Some deals were great and smooth others were a F*up, especially the one where the dude just didn't show. The deal was done in my mind anyway, we just needed to meet so I could hand him the cash. 10min prior to the meeting he sms to say he is almost there but never turned up? Ag well, I found a better & newer model of the item I was after later that day, his loss.

Dealings on the hub has generally been much much better!

I must have got luck then, advertised our old car for sale around 9am, by 1pm the phone was going nuts and by 2pm the car was sold, cash deal. But I have also seen a couple of cheap mountain bikes that I thought would be a good buy for spares alone and then the guys never come back to you...

Yip, cash is king again. You can't even trust EFTs anymore.

Yip, cash is king again. You can't even trust EFTs anymore.

Yep, we did the deal at a friends shop, he had one of those UV bill checker things and lots of witnesses around. Best to be safe!

Only ever bought one thing from Gumtree, and I got the most awesome deal. You can find some great things, you generally just need to keep your wits about you and be vigilant of anything that seems to good to be true.

Hey, Gumtree works for me - I've bought and sold motorbikes, a car, cellphones, workshop manuals, braais, bicycles etc... Never had a serious issue. Sure, you get some time wasters so don't hold your breath when someone says they coming to see the item.

When selling, make sure you have cash in hand before you part with your item and don't promise to keep an item for someone.

When buying, look at the advert and if it reads as though it was written by an idiot, it probably was... So maybe avoid those.

Most of the people I've dealt with are ordinary Joe's just trying to do a deal... :thumbup: