Leg Strengthening Routines In Gym

So, I am resting my bum from the saddle of my carbon horse.

Turning my attention to gym work in the emerging Brrrrr of winter.

What do you do to strengthen your legs at the ol' gym?

Other than spinning....

Please share your routines that you believe works well towards improved performance in the saddle?

:rolleyes:

Edited by AirBender

Start with some core/stability work (on the half ball or physio ball)

Then do:

Single leg squats

Walking Lunges

Side Lunges

Single leg calf raises

Seated Calf Raises

Seated Row (for lower back)

Then some abs...

Started with my programme this morning - can't walk now - but it's all good :thumbup:

Bunny hops. Horrible things, but good for explosive strength. Cycle Fan's squats and lunges are good.

Leg Curls, Leg Extensions, calf raises, leg press, squats(best I would say) and lunges - All high rep, low weights.

Dont forget Core strength training.

Stretching first. Squats, lunges, dead lifts, hack squats, leg curls, standing calf raises, and lots of core! side bridge, plank, hanging leg raises and the list goes on! Mix it up a bit so your body doesn't adapt.

See these two posts I did a while ago. You can also see the training video clips on alloutmtb.co.za

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/104222-insanely-effective-core-strength-exercises-by-alloutmtbcoza/

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/104033-now-on-alloutmtbcoza-building-leg-strength-for-cyclists/

We have also developed a 12 week strength building program that is already used by 24 other hubbers. PM me and I will mail it to you. Will soon publish the programme on the web site as well.

Enjoy!

hey dude

I do all the squats and stuff like everybody has mentioned above. But if you want a good work out, do some squats, one legged squats and lunges on a bosu ball, it really gives you a proper work out and as an added benefit, it also works out your core muscles

I have sourced the services of a personal trainer twice a week to help me with my Gymwork. On Mondays we do legs, core, back and abs and on Thursdays we do Upper body, core and abs. She changes the routines every week to ensure that you don't get used to one particular excercise. A typical legs session includes:

15 minute warm up before we start with the workout.

Superset 1:

Lunge walks with 2 x 15kg weights (about 25 lunges per leg)

with

One legged stand-ups (sit on a bench and stand up using one leg only, no hands or use of other leg, its more difficult than you think) while raising 5.4kg medicine ball above your head, about 10 to 15 per leg (one leg at a time)

with

calve raises on a step (take a 15kg weight in same hand as calve that is being trained), 30 on each calve.

Repeat 2 to 3 times

Superset 2:

V8 leg raises (lift your legs and move it in a 8 figure while lying on a slightly inclined bench) 20 full 8 figures

with

1 legged hamstring curls (15 per leg)

with

Squats on a Bosu ball lifting a medicine ball above your shoulders with both hands.

Repeat 2 to 3 times

Superset 3

one legged leg curls (15 per leg)

with

lower back raises (15 to 20)

with

donkey calve raises

Repeat 2 to 3 times)

Superset 4

side plank (30 seconds per side)

with

One legged lunge, while back leg on a bench (great for the glutes, 15 per leg)

with

jack knives (20)

Stretching for 10 minutes

I have sourced the services of a personal trainer twice a week to help me with my Gymwork. On Mondays we do legs, core, back and abs and on Thursdays we do Upper body, core and abs. She changes the routines every week to ensure that you don't get used to one particular excercise. A typical legs session includes:

15 minute warm up before we start with the workout.

Superset 1:

Lunge walks with 2 x 15kg weights (about 25 lunges per leg)

with

One legged stand-ups (sit on a bench and stand up using one leg only, no hands or use of other leg, its more difficult than you think) while raising 5.4kg medicine ball above your head, about 10 to 15 per leg (one leg at a time)

with

calve raises on a step (take a 15kg weight in same hand as calve that is being trained), 30 on each calve.

Repeat 2 to 3 times

Superset 2:

V8 leg raises (lift your legs and move it in a 8 figure while lying on a slightly inclined bench) 20 full 8 figures

with

1 legged hamstring curls (15 per leg)

with

Squats on a Bosu ball lifting a medicine ball above your shoulders with both hands.

Repeat 2 to 3 times

Superset 3

one legged leg curls (15 per leg)

with

lower back raises (15 to 20)

with

donkey calve raises

Repeat 2 to 3 times)

Superset 4

side plank (30 seconds per side)

with

One legged lunge, while back leg on a bench (great for the glutes, 15 per leg)

with

jack knives (20)

Stretching for 10 minutes

What does it cost for the services of a personal trainer, I undertsand the prices will vary, but what could I potentially be looking at per session( R150?)

Just looking to do it for a couple of weeks till I get the hang of everything and can manage on my own ( I train at Virgin Active)

What does it cost for the services of a personal trainer, I undertsand the prices will vary, but what could I potentially be looking at per session( R150?)

Just looking to do it for a couple of weeks till I get the hang of everything and can manage on my own ( I train at Virgin Active)

My trainer charges R160 per session and I pay for 10 sessions in advance. I started off with one session a week (legs only) a couple of months ago and doubled up after Sani2C. I will probably go back to one session a week after Pioneer

My trainer charges R160 per session and I pay for 10 sessions in advance. I started off with one session a week (legs only) a couple of months ago and doubled up after Sani2C. I will probably go back to one session a week after Pioneer

Ok cool, thanks for that. The sessions last for half an hour?

Do you use the trainer more for technique of the various exercises or more for the motivation?

Ok cool, thanks for that. The sessions last for half an hour?

Do you use the trainer more for technique of the various exercises or more for the motivation?

Its a 50 minute session with 10 minute stretch as well. I do my warm up for 15 to 20 minutes before the workout.

Technique is one factor, yes. Motivation is another, but variation is the biggest factor. I don't know what's coming next, so I'm never in my comfort zone. Usually I stop when it hurts, with the trainer I usually have another 5 to 10 reps to do after the hurt gets bad.

Few good routines: (dont just do weights, work some plyometrics into your routine for explosive power)

Something you can do at home:

5 sets of: 24 x air squats (no weight, full depth); 24 x squat jumps; 24 x lunges; 24 x split jumps (do a lunge, then jump and switch your feet). As you get stronger you can hold some dumbbells in your hands to add weight

Gym:

warm up properly (if you have a sled or heavy tire to drag at your gym, do some heavy backward drags to warm up those quads, try to do 4 x 50-75m drags)

then 10 sets of 10 x Front Squats, heavy enough to just finish 10 reps (you can do front squats on the smith machine if you not comfortable with the olympic bar on your chest)

or

you can combine squats with box jumps:

do 5 sets of: 5 x squats + 5 x box jumps on high box(50-60cm). Add weight and raise box as you get stronger.

PS: If you have never done squats before, get someone to help you with your form. Squat deep, so your ass goes lower than your knees. Rather go lighter and do it properly, you only cheating yourself if you dont do it properly. Look up and keep your back straight.

Edited by zeepee

Excellent tips, Riders!

Thank you.

I guess 2-3 times a week is good.

With rest and a riding in between...

If you do the leg training to failure i would do it once maybe twice per week. That is it! You dont want to overtrain and it can easily happen with weight training

Please share your routines that you believe works well towards improved performance in the saddle?

:rolleyes:

There is pretty much no evidence that says gym work for your legs will improve your cycling. You're better of cycling more.