Am I being Unreasonable?

TheV

Dear Fellow-Hubbers,

In the last 3 months I have spent more than R 50,000 with SA's "largest cycle retailer" and now I am seriously starting to regret it....

In May I purchased a Merida TFS 500 with full kit and accessories: R 15 000 later

A week later I purchased a full Merida Kiddies MTB with full kit and accessories for my son: R 5000 later

This past Saturday, in a moment of weakness I walked into their shop (again), making a statement of give me 1x of your Lightest/Full-Sus/Full-XT bikes in a 18.5 size.

The actual sales experience is another topic (first thing they do is try to convince me about 29'ers, then they start running around trying to find something by looking around - I could have done that myself thank you). Of course I did my own research the night before and already had pretty much an idea of 2 options they stock I would consider)

So here is where it gets interesting....

I settle on a R 30,000 Bike - Full-XT the works. Wait for them to PD the bike, and off I Go....

Next morning I take my new baby for a ride.... in getting ready I notice they scratched the left crank, the frame had a couple of small nicks at the rear wheel quick release area and where they fitted the bottle holder they must have nicked it. i also spotted a couple of minor tool marks on the custom bolts on the suspension where they must have torqued the bike in the PD, not serious, just you can see the marks on the shiny new black bolts as the tool went in or came out, or their tools where worn or the okes are spastic with angles. Oh, and i had to tighten the grips an right brake lever which was totally loose.....

At this point i should have taken the bike straight back to them, but anyway in the moment i decide fkt-it, it's a mountain bike, get over it and lets get this thing dirty....

After my ride i load the bike onto my carrier and spot the shifters for the first time... SLX???? so anyway i hop onto the website and get the spec's from they manufacturer site, and also double check with the "shop" online catalog and both correctly list the bike as full XT-spec with actual XT shifters. So i do a full sweep of all components and also notices the spd's should be M520 not the M505 they put on..

I take the bike back to the shop (sunday afternoon)- mass confusion.... no explanation on how the shifters where downgraded or changed, and no real engagement on why this could have happened. Anyway, so they tell me to they will fit the correct pedals and change the shifters to XT, and I can come fetch it monday afternoon.

Monday morning i phone the manager, tell him the story, he says he will check it out and call me back in an hour.... he works on a different clock because he never phoned... So in the afternoon i rock up to collect the bike, he's there... like a sheep doesn't know what to tell me...

when i inquire about the history of the bike, all he says is that he doesn't supply second hand bikes and he doesn't know how the shifters where downgraded, or why.

out comes the bike from the workshop - XT shifters fitted, but a NEW scratch on the top tube... right where you will see it every time you ride - i show the manager and tell him to change the bike, I want a new one....

After phoning their other branches they found a new bike, and this being monday, tell me i can come get my "new" bike on Wednesday (latest), they will call me when it's ready.

today is half Thursday, i haven't received a call yet, not to tell me its ready, or that it wont be...

like expected, they will probably wait for me to CALL them and then come up with an excuse....

What do you suggest - do i throw my toys and ask for my R30k back what do i do, or do i accept their poor service and wait for the new bike?

one would think they would be calling me on a daily basis to assure me things will be ok and that it will be sorted?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, and after a brief scan of your rant, why didn't you check the bike when you were about to walk out the shop with it? And of what relevance is your purchase(s) in May?

Edited by TNT1

Ok, and after a brief scan of your rant, why didn't you check the bike when you were about to walk out the shop with it? And of what relevance is your purchase(s) in May?

Just to highlight he has spent a lot of money with them and was not expecting this to happen probably :unsure: If you can get your money back and go spend elsewhere, I would.

Dear Fellow-Hubbers,

In the last 3 months I have spent more than R 50,000 with SA's "largest cycle retailer" and now I am seriously starting to regret it....

In May I purchased a Merida TFS 500 with full kit and accessories: R 15 000 later

A week later I purchased a full Merida Kiddies MTB with full kit and accessories for my son: R 5000 later

This past Saturday, in a moment of weakness I walked into their shop (again), making a statement of give me 1x of your Lightest/Full-Sus/Full-XT bikes in a 18.5 size.

The actual sales experience is another topic (first thing they do is try to convince me about 29'ers, then they start running around trying to find something by looking around - I could have done that myself thank you). Of course I did my own research the night before and already had pretty much an idea of 2 options they stock I would consider)

So here is where it gets interesting....

I settle on a R 30,000 Bike - Full-XT the works. Wait for them to PD the bike, and off I Go....

Next morning I take my new baby for a ride.... in getting ready I notice they scratched the left crank, the frame had a couple of small nicks at the rear wheel quick release area and where they fitted the bottle holder they must have nicked it. i also spotted a couple of minor tool marks on the custom bolts on the suspension where they must have torqued the bike in the PD, not serious, just you can see the marks on the shiny new black bolts as the tool went in or came out, or their tools where worn or the okes are spastic with angles. Oh, and i had to tighten the grips an right brake lever which was totally loose.....

At this point i should have taken the bike straight back to them, but anyway in the moment i decide fkt-it, it's a mountain bike, get over it and lets get this thing dirty....

After my ride i load the bike onto my carrier and spot the shifters for the first time... SLX???? so anyway i hop onto the website and get the spec's from they manufacturer site, and also double check with the "shop" online catalog and both correctly list the bike as full XT-spec with actual XT shifters. So i do a full sweep of all components and also notices the spd's should be M520 not the M505 they put on..

I take the bike back to the shop (sunday afternoon)- mass confusion.... no explanation on how the shifters where downgraded or changed, and no real engagement on why this could have happened. Anyway, so they tell me to they will fit the correct pedals and change the shifters to XT, and I can come fetch it monday afternoon.

Monday morning i phone the manager, tell him the story, he says he will check it out and call me back in an hour.... he works on a different clock because he never phoned... So in the afternoon i rock up to collect the bike, he's there... like a sheep doesn't know what to tell me...

when i inquire about the history of the bike, all he says is that he doesn't supply second hand bikes and he doesn't know how the shifters where downgraded, or why.

out comes the bike from the workshop - XT shifters fitted, but a NEW scratch on the top tube... right where you will see it every time you ride - i show the manager and tell him to change the bike, I want a new one....

After phoning their other branches they found a new bike, and this being monday, tell me i can come get my "new" bike on Wednesday (latest), they will call me when it's ready.

today is half Thursday, i haven't received a call yet, not to tell me its ready, or that it wont be...

like expected, they will probably wait for me to CALL them and then come up with an excuse....

What do you suggest - do i throw my toys and ask for my R30k back what do i do, or do i accept their poor service and wait for the new bike?

one would think they would be calling me on a daily basis to assure me things will be ok and that it will be sorted?

What's your point there, George?

Unless I am still doped up...I couldn't see a point either :blink:

Didn't read your whole rant, but who is "SA's largest cycle retailer"?

Game, I would've thought, but I haven't seen too many Meridas there. :unsure:

What's your point there, George?

I just re-read the whole story to see if he made a change, doh.

Game, I would've thought, but I haven't seen too many Meridas there. :unsure:

Maybe Walmart will stock Meridas?

Apologies, finger problems.

I sugest you give the shop the opportunity to replace the bike or return your money. If this fails seek protection in the Consumer Protection Act, 2008. good luck.:unsure:

I think sometimes the larger retailers of whatever product/service often lose touch with the general public and forget who put them there in the first place!

Personally I would not go there again, not because of the mistakes (which we all make) but rather the lack of service you received, such as not getting that 1 minute phonecall to let you know your R30k bike is ready for collection!

Edited by Mojoman