Starting up after a loooooong break

Hi guys

I've recently (read last week) started cycling again after a prolonged break from the sport. What is the best way for me to get back to an acceptable level of fitness? Due to work commitments and concerns about cycling alone, I am hesitant to go to Northern Farms or something during the week so my options feel very limited. It is worth doing the MTN cycle park once a week, spinning class once a week and a ride on the weekend? What should my distance goals be, etc, etc. In the long run, I have entered the 94.7, so I have an end goal, I'm just not too sure how to get there.

What was your level when you stopped, and how long ago was that?

Let's just say that the last time I rode, Cosmos bicycles were the shiz and off road cycling belonged to bombers and BMX's

I dont think northern farms is open during the week anyways - your problem is not unique no matter what level you are at. I have bought an indoor trainer to use in the off season(winter) duirng the week and will try use it 2/3 times in the morning before work - in the evenings I will go to gym and do some core, run and some weight training. on the weekend is when I get my longer rides in, I suggest joining a club and doing the club ride on a sat morning and then off to northen farms/teak/breedts on a sunday. In summer there is the engen ride which is a morning ride in bryanston starting around 4:55am and you'll be done by 6:15....bit to cold now (or atleast for me) - that is all I can do while trying to pay the bills and the trick is to use your time effectively.

I know how you feel. I was off the bike for about the same amount of time and now entered the SANDF champs in august. Its difficult to train in winter but with the right motivation you can get it done.