Slowly being suffocated....

Imploder

Gauteng:

35% increase in Electricity Tariff(Residential property)

6.7% increase in property rates

14% increase in water and sanitation

6.7% increase in refuse removal.

Over Road Tolling: most likely reduced from 66c/km to 58c/km (Gee Thanks!)

Then there is the interest rates likely to rise before year end.

Not to mention how the above is going to increase the price of goods in the store.

We're slowly being suffocated.

I can really see how more and more people will be allowed to work from home. I already have a few friends that have flexible work hours or just work from home. Won't be able to afford going home and back, definitely not staying in Pretoria and working in Joburg.

The Gautrain may also be an option, but the routes are very limited even with the buses. But yes I think companies will have to come up with some innovative ideas to cushion these blows from their employees. Perhaps SARS can make a non-taxable travel levy.

I can really see how more and more people will be allowed to work from home. I already have a few friends that have flexible work hours or just work from home. Won't be able to afford going home and back, definitely not staying in Pretoria and working in Joburg.

I am in that exact position, live in Alberton and work in Centurion :(

But :) - I work from home 2 days a week at the moment and as it is going very well may request 3 days a week soon :D

Ok this is really irritating: "The price rises come in the wake of a report by the Auditor-General that shows that misappropriation of municipal funds had risen sharply in the past year and that unauthorised, irregular, fruitless and wasteful expenditure rose by 77% for the financial year to the end of June 2010." - Taken from http://www.property24.com/articles/steep-electricity-hikes-from-tomorrow/13735

The Gautrain may also be an option, but the routes are very limited even with the buses. But yes I think companies will have to come up with some innovative ideas to cushion these blows from their employees. Perhaps SARS can make a non-taxable travel levy.

We calculated the Gautrain costs for my wife as we stay in Centurion and she works in Woodmead. Currently I pay her petrol as well: R680pm as she and other lady lift club to work. The Gautrain has bus stop outside our Estate Gate. If she uses the bus toi travel between home-station-work and the Gautrain to Sandton station 5 days a week the total cost would be R1440p/m :blink:

We will have to see what the toll fees are once they're confirmed and then decide what to do.

The non financial issues might also be a significant factor with the Gautrain decision.

Not having to drive, spend x hours staring at the bumper ahead, far less risk of accident, reliability of being at work on time (lets hope), opportunity to do something else (work, read a book, play on thehub!), shorter commute time (maybe)

Edited by davem

yaaaa, trains. Only 2 in the world are showing profit, the one in Hong Kong, and new York. So yes... another waste of money by our leaders.

What gets me is that ESKOM posted a ~R8 billion profit last financial year.....then why the huge tarif increase? (I do know Jhb charge their own tariffs - city power or something)...just ridiculous....then my work want to offer a 7% pay adjustment!!!

We calculated the Gautrain costs for my wife as we stay in Centurion and she works in Woodmead. Currently I pay her petrol as well: R680pm as she and other lady lift club to work. The Gautrain has bus stop outside our Estate Gate. If she uses the bus toi travel between home-station-work and the Gautrain to Sandton station 5 days a week the total cost would be R1440p/m :blink:

We will have to see what the toll fees are once they're confirmed and then decide what to do.

Hey Rudo, how about she pays for her own fuel and then you save R680 per month? :blush: