Giro Donna starts today

cyclingfiend

:thumbup: The Ladies version of the Giro d'Italia starts today with a 80+ km stage from Rome to Velletri. 4 South African ladies are riding for the Lotto Honda Team - Ashleigh Moolmon, Cherise Taylor, Marissa vd Merwe and Johanne vd Winkel. Watch the reports on Cyclingnews.com Edited by cyclingfiend

Stage 1 Results are out:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/giro-ditalia-internazionale-femminile-giro-donne-2011/stage-1/results

Ash 26th in front bunch.

Ashleigh Moolman

Day1 #GiroDonne done! Got some GPM points & finished safely in first bunch in uphill, cobbled sprint! Well done to @marianne_vos 4 her win!

Ash got 3rd in the QOM, so 3 points.

Cherise, Jo and Marissa finished within a minute of the bunch.

Tomorrow a mountain top finish.

Edited by Flemish Lion

Some feedback from yesterday:

Joanna Van De Winkel

Wow, these girls are fast! Caught up in a crash & Marissa helped me back 2 bunch, all was fine, finished just off front grp in sprint.

Rochelle Gilmore

I shouldn't tweet, I've had a sleeping tap...got through Day1-Giro Donne; 100% over the climb, then uphill cobbled sprint..Errrr! 12th!!

Tiffany Jane

Sad to see my team mate Froydis not so lucky today, breaking her collarbone and exiting the #girodonne after stg 1... Heal quickly!!

Cherise Taylor

Oky so yest I popped like a balloon on the final climb.2day 91km with one climb of 15km and another one of 25km. Ouch. Starting at 11:45

Giro donna stage 2 starting in 25min. Rain starting to fall a little at the start. We in for a tough day of climbing #girodonna

Km 0, they are on their way. Long 40km decent 2 start with

Crazy conditions, 45km twisty decent with 5m visibility. Thick fog and rain. Gruppo comp.

This is where radios would make the world of difference ;-)

You are a first class pimp dude! ;)

I'm glad you are able and willing!!

How was your race? Heard it drizzled a bit.

Willing and SUPER KEEN! :-)

Didn't rain too much, was flippen muddy! Coudln't use my granny gear in the front so that forced me to go fast on the hills. Suffered a lot tho, your winner socks made me fast like a flash! :thumbup:

Willing and SUPER KEEN! :-)

Didn't rain too much, was flippen muddy! Coudln't use my granny gear in the front so that forced me to go fast on the hills. Suffered a lot tho, your winner socks made me fast like a flash! :thumbup:

Good test for the new drivetrain!

Glad I could make you faster :)

Good test for the new drivetrain!

Glad I could make you faster :)

You know what would make me go even faster? .... Good transition back to Jo (and the other girls)! :D

Edited by rob!

I'll ignore the above :rolleyes:

That was one monster climb. Lots of switchbacks and steep. group of about 8 with 3min on peloton followed by 4 riders with 2min on peloton r #girodonna

Vos in peloton

Girodonne

Km 70 caduta in testa, Grace Verbeke. Davanti in otto, a 1'15" la giovane italiana Elisa Longo Borghini, gruppo maglia rosa a 2'15"

Edited by Flemish Lion

Stage 3 completed. Vos won again Emma Pooley 2nd

They had lots of little climbs to contest - E.g.

nynke

De klimmetjes zijn hier echt godse stijl. http://instagr.am/p/G3qa8/

Looks like the PE SAs climb!!

Hopefully some news from the Saffas soon.

After stage 2 Ash was in 16th, Cherise 50th, Jo 51st and Marissa 93rd on GC.

I see Ashleigh Moolman had a good ride yesterday, and is in 13th overall now.

With a 16 km technical TT left today she will most likely finish in 13th place. It's a real pity she lost some valuable time due to crashes in the early stages... but that's racing.

The last three stages were pretty epic (close to 2000m of climbing each day) and Ash finished in 11th in the last 2 - only 4-5 mins of the winner.

This VOS lady has buckets of talent. She's won 5 out of 9 stages so far. Up, flat or downhill finishes, she wins them all!!

It's the first time a non "pure" climber will win this Tour.

And she's only 24!!

Jo and Cherise are 38th and 39th respectively.