Setup Question - technical single track

Chubba

I have a Morewood Zula size medium and I’m finding on technical single track being thrown forward on the bike constantly (over the bars), even though I’m centering myself on the pedals, pushing behind the saddle, arms and hands loose. I’m 178cm and have longer legs so my saddle is fairly high.

I got on a mates Morewood Zula large and a Shova Medium and with their bikes I’m sitting in the bike, where on mine I feel like I’m perched on top of it.

Have gone for a bike setup and I still don’t feel comfortable. I did change the saddle recently and I will play around with pushing it a bit back, but what else can I look at.

I have thought about getting a KS seat dropper, but not to sure if this is the right thing to do?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm. I have the same problem with my Spark Medium. I'm 180cm.

I ride a large 19.1" hardtail that fits me perfectly.

Do you ride with flat or riser bars?

Maybe your bars need to be a tad higher?

Dont raise them too much that you struggle to keep your front wheel down on steep climbs...

Do you ride with flat or riser bars?

Maybe your bars need to be a tad higher?

Dont raise them too much that you struggle to keep your front wheel down on steep climbs...

Have riser bars on to accommodate the higher post, but still not working.

I wonder if the frame is the wrong size, although the setup guy said I’m a medium.

Hmmmm. I have the same problem with my Spark Medium. I'm 180cm.

I ride a large 19.1" hardtail that fits me perfectly.

at 180cm you should ride a large.

Have riser bars on to accommodate the higher post, but still not working.

I wonder if the frame is the wrong size, although the setup guy said I’m a medium.

Try a longer stem. Cheap option to see if it works centering your weight.

Agree with a large size (for most bikes) if your 180cm. I'm the same size with long legs and short torso and 19" bikes fit me best. I ride with a short stem (60-80mm and riser bars) and my bike rides like a trail bike but still oves climbs.

at 180cm you should ride a large.

According to Scott geometry charts I am at the upper limit of a medium. Would like to try out a Large. Not that popular size. Longer stem moved to top of steerer made a very big difference.

I have a Morewood Zula size medium and I’m finding on technical single track being thrown forward on the bike constantly (over the bars)

What type of terrain does this happen on i.e. steep rough downhill

If it happens only on the above then I would suggest you need to move your family jewels a bit more back i.e. behind the seat and use a little less front brake.

I think you should sell the medium frame and get a large one. Or maybe Im just being selfish coz I'm dreaming about having a zula :D

I'm also 1.78 and I'm riding a medium zula as well. Went for a bike fitting the other day and got my saddle - BB length set at 77cm (a lot higher than I would normally have set it). Super comfortable on the bike now.

Guest Iron

Are you comfy when you sit and ride the bike? if so that will eliminate the stem , saddle possion.

In the days when i was racing MX the position of your break levers made a diff . if they were to far down you would tent to lean forward more to reach them in there sweet spot , if higher up you sit back some more each time you reach for them. this applies to mtb technical ridding too when you stand and ride with two fingers on the break levers your arm wants to naturaly extent your fingers in a straight line ( fore arm to fingers ) . Not too many people agree with this but i have managed to get many guys to naturaly move back when standing buy just lifting the break levers slightly.

Try it , you have nothing to loose.

What type of terrain does this happen on i.e. steep rough downhill

If it happens only on the above then I would suggest you need to move your family jewels a bit more back i.e. behind the seat and use a little less front brake.

We ride some technical stuff on table mountain, signal hill and tokai. I wouldn’t say it downhill riding.

Are you comfy when you sit and ride the bike? if so that will eliminate the stem , saddle possion.

In the days when i was racing MX the position of your break levers made a diff . if they were to far down you would tent to lean forward more to reach them in there sweet spot , if higher up you sit back some more each time you reach for them. this applies to mtb technical ridding too when you stand and ride with two fingers on the break levers your arm wants to naturaly extent your fingers in a straight line ( fore arm to fingers ) . Not too many people agree with this but i have managed to get many guys to naturaly move back when standing buy just lifting the break levers slightly.

Try it , you have nothing to loose.

I feel pretty comfy on the flats and it climbs jeep well. Struggle to lift and position the bike on technical single going up.

Will look at the levers this evening. Thanks.

We ride some technical stuff on table mountain, signal hill and tokai. I wouldn’t say it downhill riding.

Sigh....

You only ride on the flat and uphill parts of da mountain(s)?

How do you get back down again??

Sigh....

You only ride on the flat and uphill parts of da mountain(s)?

How do you get back down again??

very funny! downhill as in.....

post-12790-0-46704700-1309523393.jpg