Saddle woes

SeaBee

Need some advise here...

I went through quite a number of saddles, before finding my butt's match. I eventually came across a Selle Italia SLR XP flow. :clap: I could riiiide! Life was good.

Then, towards the middle of summer I started noting this "uncomfortable feeling" again after some longer rides, and not long afterwards, the saddle sores I got from previous saddles returned. (Note: mid-season, not as if my butt was not used to riding at that stage!) And looking at the saddle, I have "sat out" some divots there and seems like that's exactly where I seem to get the irritation from. And the saddle is not all that old. I will buy the same saddle again without thinking, so it's not "an itch", the longevity of it just worries me. Still looks fine, except for sagging section. And no, I'm not all that heavy. :rolleyes:

I was just wondering whether it's worth getting a harder SLR flow saddle (which leaves me only one to get) in the hope that the razor blades I seem to have for sit-bones don't chow them up as well. It's a bit more expensive, but will hopefully last longer and dimensions should be the same. Or are these all-carbon saddles not comfy at all? No use getting another one and you can't ride on it for longer than 10 mins...

Yes, this comes after a ride yesterday and I have already applied "my usual mixture", feeling that there's something on the way.

I am not always so sure that saddle sores come from the saddle. I have switched to a different saddle cream et voilas - gone they were.

And I rode the SLR XC Gel Flow - the one with the kevlar sides. Damn good saddle but no one had stock of that puppy so I got the SLR XP flow. Bought right here on the hub.

Edited by MJ the mountainbiker

Jeez... MJ, you may have a point! I think that's about when I opened a new tub of saddle cream. Same as used previously - maybe a new formulation.

I will experiment a bit with that! Had a quick chat to somebody else as well and it seemed not probable to be the saddle, esp having started off well and not that long into the saddle's life.

Get yourself shammy cream and use it for every ride. I aslo use Milko balm after each ride. Then spent some money and buy Assos. You will never look back, trust me.

Agree on the Assos, both the bib and the cream. I just got a new carbon Arione CX that is super comfortable and as light as any SLR, give it a try if you can.

Seabee,

1/ Stand up every now and then. Give the bum-bum a mini-break.

2/ Also change position on the saddle - to the back and the front subtlely - as often as you can.

3/ Assos has this super cool skin repair cream as well. Fissen paste is also a good recovery cream and less expensive.

All the best, man.

Tough scenario.

:blush:

Seabee,

1/ Stand up every now and then during the ride. Give the bum-bum a mini-break.

2/ Also change position on the saddle - to the back and the front subtlely - as often as you can.

3/ Assos has this super cool skin repair cream as well. Fissen paste is also a good recovery cream and less expensive.

Above all, personal hygiene is also key, man.

All the best.

Tough scenario.

:blush:

My problem was I previously had saddle sore issues, this saddle took all the issues away. I am using chamois cream. I have not changed my personal hygiene. So at this stage I may agree with MJ - it may have been roundabout the time I've changed to a new tub of cream - same make as previous (Mark II). Maybe a formulation change - dunno. So that's the first thing I'll try to eliminate by just getting me a different make of cream and see whether that may solve it.

My original thoughts were that my saddle may be past it's sell-by date - and was wondering whether going for some of the harder 30% carbon SLR saddles (many new options, I now see) may be a better option. But was wondering about the comfort of it - the shape is obviously agreeing with me. What diffs does the "flow" really make - my current saddle is a flow version.

AB - my personal "mix" to help works wonders - Fissans mixed with Bactroban. If the sore is open, I give it a quick dab of Friars Balsam - that sorts the living sheet out of it and all is good thereafter! (Blurry vision for a couple of seconds, but that's okay...)