PLEASE Advise

messenger

Hi guys, gals,

Please provide some practical expertise / opinions / advice. Dont need to invite or welcome some 'spice' to the debate - this is the hub.

Looking at buying a new MT Bike. I am 187cm and have a 89cm inseam.

Resultantly 19" or 20" are the options.

I have read all the charts and tables and viable options and so forth - hoping for an "alternate" form of information.

(PS - sorry will only be able to respond intermittently if you want to know my weight; shoe size; longest finger on my left hand or other measurement in order to comment.

If you are a young lass between the age of 20 and 30 and would like some more info, I am available for dinner and my number is 082 8..........)

Appreciate - Don't shoot......

Edited by messenger

best info i can give is to ride before you buy eg i ride a large mongoose but an x large stumpy just because of the different geometry.my 2c worth of advice is to try and take the bike you are interested in for a ride.

best info i can give is to ride before you buy eg i ride a large mongoose but an x large stumpy just because of the different geometry.my 2c worth of advice is to try and take the bike you are interested in for a ride.

Keel - guy busy with some Industrial Aerobics outside - place under lockdown and give me time to peruse the hub.....

Agree - it does help in the decision / make up your mind, but its not quite the same as grinding it out for hours when the 'ol rugby back lets you know its still around; knees remind you of that big-hit....

Problem is - there is no option btw the 20 and 19. The option is 19 or 19.

What do you want to do on a mtbike?

If you are going to ride the gravel, then bigger is better, if you want to ride the singel track go for the 19" frame.

How old are you? what is your riding experience?

Obviously if you are a just for fitness and fun type of guy and cateyes scare you then a 29"er wheeled carbon dual suspension type of bike (10 speed) is your thing. However, if you like risk, taking a fall and pushing the edges then consider a steel or ti frame, with a retro fork (possibly a rigid carbon) single speed play thing. There are many boutique brands available, like coptic, on-one, singular ext. If you sit in the middle then anything will do.

Not all 19" 20" or 21" have the exact same sizing measurements.

One mans 19" is anothers 21"

Get the exact measurements from the manufacturer and get yourself measured and fitted properly then match the two

Top tube is your most important measurement.

Not all 19" 20" or 21" have the exact same sizing measurements.

One mans 19" is anothers 21"

Get the exact measurements from the manufacturer and get yourself measured and fitted properly then match the two

Top tube is your most important measurement.

Thanks guys, Tankman appreciate.

Road bike size (is another inbetweener) but 58cm.

Ill have to resist the impulsive urge to but and go find the same bike somewhere in a store. Hope the deal is still around after the weekend...

@krl747 - ride often enought to keep my weight under 80kg's!! ok ok - the last few weeks might not warrant a new bike, but we are prospective creatures and planning for the future is what we we do! So ill need a new bike to do that ;)

What do you want to do on a mtbike?

If you are going to ride the gravel, then bigger is better, if you want to ride the singel track go for the 19" frame.

How old are you? what is your riding experience?

Obviously if you are a just for fitness and fun type of guy and cateyes scare you then a 29"er wheeled carbon dual suspension type of bike (10 speed) is your thing. However, if you like risk, taking a fall and pushing the edges then consider a steel or ti frame, with a retro fork (possibly a rigid carbon) single speed play thing. There are many boutique brands available, like coptic, on-one, singular ext. If you sit in the middle then anything will do.

Hey Witkop! Man that rolls off the tongue.....

Bit of both Groennies; but also long rolling flat gravel roads when i visit the folks - big time in it for the fun - so 19" then!!! I dont really have the financial backing to buy 7 bikes for all occasions - so a bit of a one shoe fits all.

Thanks Witkop!

Question; if you ride a 20" mtb, can you make a 19" fit by fitting a longer top tube and, if necessary, seat post? Surely you can set up the smaller bike to resemble the geometry you are used to with the 20" bike?

How often do you ride your bike?

Much more than a certain aspiring cape epic rider... although that doesn't say much, now does it.

Squire: A 'top tube' is not a "Stem". you can change stem lendths (the small thingy that connects your handle bar to your fork steerer tube) but you can't change top tube length as that is a fixed part of a FRAME

Edited by Rude