TdF Stage 4: Commentary, Opinions, Views

'Dale

http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2011/07/04/2/pic207604884_600.jpg

Racing on the north western coast of France can be fraught with danger, and the cross-winds were certainly at play on Monday's third stage. Pre-Tour contender for overall honours, Ivan Basso (Liquigas-Cannondale) had a few nervous moments ahead of the Saint-Nazaire bridge

"Just before turning onto the bridge, there was a bit of confusion," the Italian explained. "Some riders who cut across the footpath and re-entered the peloton caused Karpets to fall. Along with a good number of riders, I had to stop and with the peloton already going at high speed, we lost contact. Getting back on was made more difficult by the wind. I have to thank my teammates who brought me back up to the front."

"Tomorrow, another tricky stage awaits. The Mur-de-Bretagne is a dangerous finish, where we will certainly see some action. It's suited to punchy climbers and the terrain is there for some of the big contenders to try an attack. I'll have to defend myself."

-----------

Gilbert is poised for a victory again. Let's see what unfolds today at the end where a 2 km climb leads to the finish line.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just enjoying it. It is nice to see a few non-favorites making waves :thumbup:

My underdog favorite is Gilbert, but I like the Leopard-Trek team, not for the Schelcks, but for Spartikus. He will always throw a cat amongst the pigeons :thumbup:

I dont think Hushovd is going to give his yellow jersey away easily and today's uphill finish may suit him as the world champs also had quite a climb to the finish. Also watch Sanchez and Contador himself, maybe not for the win, but he will want to proof a point. What ever happens, I can't wait! :drool:

Hope Sylivan Chavanel does his brake away thing again soon - French like to see him up front.

Contadrol will have try every chance he get but guys like Wiggans/Schlecks ect will give him a hard time now that they have some green on him.

Hope to see a Heinrich Housller(?) type win again - love it when the brake away survives!

My motto : You want it? Go get it! All in, balls out! Lets see what you got!

If its still not enough - hats off to the stronger man and we try again tomorrow!

I think we will be surprised by the stage today. Lots of action in the last 10km's. Contador will most likely try and attack. :drool:

Just read on Twitter, that Graham Watson reckons that, while everyone is talking up Gilbert today, he reckons it could be a Schleck vs Contador duel at the end. :unsure:

Oh, and Bruyneel just tweeted a pic of Gilbert's bus appearing to be stopped by cops.

post-1604-0-99583300-1309860398.jpg

Jimmy I have to agree. Question is however does his team really want it so early in the tour?

They don't have to defend it.

Agree. I think Evans will be in Yellow tonight almost by default because of his current position on the GC.. Tomorrow they will ride exactly like today protecting time gaps on GC contenders. Gilbert may win today but has to make half a minute on Evans for the Yellow.....

At the end of the day we will all probably be wrong anyway... Going to be a great stage though. Enjoy