outer chainring removal

Palaeodom

Morning all,

I am currently running an SLX 9speed triple crankset but never actually use the outer ring. the only marks on it are from being bashed during riding over obstacles. Is it possible to remove the outer chain ring and just run the middle and smaller ones.

Would I need new crank arms? Ultimately I'd like to get a 24, 34 inner and middle ring and just run those as it would give more clearance and drop a little weight. Would this require new crank arms?

Nope, same cranks can be used. But why not sell that crankset and buy a 2 blade SLX with an integrated bash guard?

Otherwise if you remove the outer ring you will need to get shorter chainring bolts or spacers to take up the difference from where the out ring is removed.

Any bike shop worth their salt should be able to sort that out for you

Thanks MoreTrails, another question, can any chainrings (for 9speed chains) be used with the shimano BB?

Both the chainrings i want and the crank arm is 4 bolt, its the crank arm that attaches to the BB so if that stays the same then I can use any chainring is that correct?

if you need shorter chainring bolts and for some reason the bike shop doesn't have (cos most of the colourful aftermarket ones like the KCNC are too long)... then tell them you need derailleur hanger bolts. They work exactly the same as short chainring bolts.

Best bet is to buy a bash ring, that way you don't need the short bolts and when you need the large chainring back its a 2 minute operation. The bash ring just replaces your outer ring.

Morning all,

I am currently running an SLX 9speed triple crankset but never actually use the outer ring. the only marks on it are from being bashed during riding over obstacles. Is it possible to remove the outer chain ring and just run the middle and smaller ones.

Would I need new crank arms? Ultimately I'd like to get a 24, 34 inner and middle ring and just run those as it would give more clearance and drop a little weight. Would this require new crank arms?

Why dont you use your big blade on downhills? Suggestions of a bashring seems a waste if you are trying to save on weight.

If I'm not heading uphill then i'm heading downhill on fairly tight single track so i've never needed the big blade, every now and then on the road but i'm trying hard to avoid tar.

Agreed, the addition of the bashring seems to defeat the point of weight saving and trying to add clearance to the bike.

I like the RD short chain bolt info - nice one schmoose