Redstone Angry Alligator MTB Race 17 July 2011

HJV1999

The routes cater for novice and experienced riders alike. The 20km route is 99% ride-able with a few small climbs, some great river-side jeeptrack, great views and a small section of singletrack. The 25km and 50km route is tough, with beautiful views, purpose-built singletrack and rough terrain.

Summary

Event Date : 17 July 2011

Province : Gauteng North

Venue : Redstone Private Country Estate - Hartbeespoort Dam

Contact Number : 012 809 2123 / 082 783 0086

Online Entries: http://www.entrytime.com/index.asp?GoTo=EventInfo&EventID=3196

Online Entries Close: 14 July 2011

Late Entries: On the day from 7am to 9am (Please note: Late Entry Fee applies)

Distance & Entry Fee

50km Open Marathon Licensed - R150

50km Open Marathon Unlicenced - R185

25km Half Marathon Licensed - R125

25km Half Marathon Unlicenced - R160

20km Fun Ride (No Licence required) - R100

Late Entry Fee + R50

Venue

Redstone Private Country Estate, Hartbeespoort Dam

GPS: 25 46'32"S 27 51'46"E

Directions to Venue

From Pretoria

• Take the old Rustenburg Tollgate road (N4) to Hartbeespoort Dam (two tollgates).

• At end of highway, take the slipway off the highway and turn left at the top.

• Turn right at the 3-way stop onto the old Pelindaba Road.

• Go over 3 way stop with farm stall and Sasol Garage.

• Carry on straight until Mountain Lake Shopping Centre with Total garage, Wimpy and Spar.

• At Total, turn right on to Oberon Road.

• 500m down Oberon Road you will find RedStone Private Country Estate.

From Johannesburg

• From N1 take Hans Strydom offramp away(north) from Randburg.

• Drive past Ferreira Décor World, Kya Sands, over N14 highway.

• Carry on straight until Mountain Lake Shopping Center with Total garage, Wimpy and Spar.

• At Total, turn right on to Oberon Road.

• 500m down Oberon Road you will find RedStone Private Country Estate.

Start Time

50km and 25km Group 1 as per SAS ranking - 09H00

50km and 25km Group 2 as per SAS ranking - 09H05

50km and 25km Group 3 as per SAS ranking - 09H15

20km Fun Ride - 9H20

Race Numbers And Seeding

We will be using the SAS national race number system. Please bring your number along. If you don't have a SAS number already, a number can be purchased on race day for R35. This number is a permanent number and is used at most MTB races eg Nissan Series and MTN Series. For more details go to mtncycling.co.za

Route Description

The 25km and 50km race route consists of a 25km lap that will be done twice for the 50km race. The route is a mixture of dirt roads, jeep tracks and some singletrack. The first 7km is relatively flat with beautiful views of the dam and the Magalies mountains. After a small climb, riders are rewarded with a scenic jeep-track descent along the Crocodile river. After the waterpoint at 13km a tough steep climb of approx 2km follows. The downhill back to the estate is scary and rocky but is follwed by a scenic, fast-flowing singletrack. After a bit more climbing riders are once again rewarded with views across the dam and Magalies mountains. The last 7km consists mainly of jeeptracks with some rough terrain to contend with. (Difficulty Rating 8/10)

The 20km route consists mainly of dirt roads and jeeptracks with limited climbing and technical sections. The route was designed to provide a scenic, enjoyable day for novice and younger riders, however is still tough enough to make it challenging. The route is the same as the 25km route, except for the most difficult sections being taken out. (Difficulty Rating 6/10)

Categories and Prizes

50km Open Marathon - Senior, Vet, Master (Male & Female)

25km Half Marathon - Junior, Senior, Vet, Master (Male & Female)

20km Fun Ride - Sub-Junior, Youth, Open (Male & Female)

Photography

Photographs of the day and the event will be taken by CSHarp Photography. For more details go to http://www.csharpphotos.com/mtbphoto.html.

Accommodation

For accommodation, please contact the following recommended places:

Benlize Lodge: Bennie Botha 082 338 3977

Houtbosdorp: Thomas 083 949 2657

Enquiries

Contact Number: 012 809 2123 / 082 783 0086

At R125 for a 25km - No thanks.

Besides, the organisers promised free entry to the next Redstone race for all who rode their muddy race earlier this year and the 'free race' ended up being in the Limpopo province some 400 km away. Nice one :thumbdown:

HAVE TO SAY THE ENTRY ON THIS IS STEEP ,DEF GIVE IT A MISS.CAN DO GROENKLOOF,MONUMENT ,BREAKFAST AND COFFEE ALL FOR LESS THAN JUST THE ENTRY THAT TO ME IS A NO BRAINER.

Besides, the organisers promised free entry to the next Redstone race for all who rode their muddy race earlier this year and the 'free race' ended up being in the Limpopo province some 400 km away. Nice one :thumbdown:

Route Profile & googlemap available on entry page:

http://www.entrytime.com/index.asp?GoTo=EventInfo&EventID=3196

400km if you count both ways (just past Warmbad) I was one of the riders that capatalised on the free entry at the 2nd race, all and all it was a fantastic weekend, Ps. It rained again during the race, this time not so much mud, but sand. If you didn't go to the Rooiberg event, you certainly missed out, even got a "bonus" 10KM added onto the 40KM route... :clap: I made a weekend of it, and stayed at the hotel in rooiberg R150/night (2 beds/onsuite bathroom & my bike had "parking" in the room) Strangely the turnout was not hardly as huge as the Lionsman event held a few click's away the following month at MAbalingwe, also on the other side of Warmbad. Didn't seem anyone had a problem with the distance then.

Groenkloof is hard to beat and you can go round & round the whole day long.

A change of scenery is what I'm looking for with events. It was green and muddy in January, would like to know what Winter did to the scenery. Also there is 1 "tall" climb on the 25/50km route that I need to give another go...

Edited by HJV1999

The way I understood it at the last muddy event we would get free entry to the next event at Redstone I did the 2 laps in the mud so do I get a free entry?

Yes I feel we got done in as well as it definately was put across as being the next Redstone event.

Nevermind I was still deciding between this and Walkerville so made the choice easy will ride walkerville and strike this event and venue off any future rides.

I'm sorry that you feel you have been done in, below is an extract from the "organizers" earlier the year.

"As you may be aware, we tried to make things a bit more exciting by offering all finishers a free entry to our next event."

As you said yourself, next event, and not next event at Redstone or this venue, I was there as well and it was my 1st event "ever" They never said the event will be held at the same venue, I even made a comment on the day to one of my friends, that with my luck the next event will be held in KZN.

I have since been to more events and luckily completed all of them, none promised anything more then a medal for completion. As the average Joe that’s not competing for 1st place, a medal is all I get. So thanks to the organizers for going the extra K

I stay in Pretoria & the distance to Redstone@Hartebees was 75 km & the distance to Rooiberg was 160 km leaving the difference 85km /45 min. The Free Entry covered my additional fuel/time easily.

Must admit the price is not cheap, but compared to Trailseeker #2 its a bargain. And you don't have to share the route and the parking with 2000 riders. And you actually have a map and profile available BEFORE you enter. The 25km at Redstone equates to the 40km at Hazeldean. Those downhills were scary :blink: :drool: