8ta Special Data package - BEWARE

duringd

I just tried to apply for the new data bundle package form 8ta via telephone so that I didn't have to go into a shop to do it. All went fine until they started asking questions about things that had nothing to do with applying for this contract. What is your current cellphone number, when does your contract expire, what phone are you using...... When I brought it under attention of the person doing the application I was merely told, well, either answer our questions or go into a shop and go through all the paperwork! WTF! This is clearly a way for them to get hold of information to try and steal from other networks in the future, and they do it without skaamte! Beware, if you want to keep your personal information secure don't speak to these plonkers!

I just tried to apply for the new data bundle package form 8ta via telephone so that I didn't have to go into a shop to do it. All went fine until they started asking questions about things that had nothing to do with applying for this contract. What is your current cellphone number, when does your contract expire, what phone are you using...... When I brought it under attention of the person doing the application I was merely told, well, either answer our questions or go into a shop and go through all the paperwork! WTF! This is clearly a way for them to get hold of information to try and steal from other networks in the future, and they do it without skaamte! Beware, if you want to keep your personal information secure don't speak to these plonkers!

Little F@kkers!

Uhm, comparing the cost to Vodacom, MTN, CellC... I'd walk into a Telkom shop anytime.

got a 8-ta simcard, just need to load money on it and test it. According to their system I have not signal.

But why not? you build bicycles at R1000, I come and day I build and sell them for 1/2 that. Same thing, business.

Edited by cervelo

After 30min of Pain in a shop my mate walked out with their 10 gig special and F^%$^ me is it fast!

Im interested to know what the coverage is like on the 8ta data network. Their voice network uses Vodacom towers where 8ta does not have towers yet, but in the press release they said they will not be using Vodacom towers to support data services (too expensive for them to pay VC).

Has anyone traveled around with one of these?

Im interested to know what the coverage is like on the 8ta data network. Their voice network uses Vodacom towers where 8ta does not have towers yet, but in the press release they said they will not be using Vodacom towers to support data services (too expensive for them to pay VC).

Has anyone traveled around with one of these?

ironically I had Vodacom technicians here yesterday fitting some hardware to give me a better signal (not faster but more stable), they were telling me their woes (and mine) are caused by Telkom and they cannot wait to be shot of them! Prehaps this is why they are being so useless with Vodacom?

Ja definately more players... this is however not reflected in the prices yet...

Erm, yes it is. You can now get a 5GB Cell C account with a 3G wi-fi router for R299/month. 1 year ago, you'd pay that for a single Vodacom USB stick with 800MB. I just bought a 2GB Vodacom stick for R150/month for my mom. Same thing.

It is cheaper than before but still not close to international standards. Use up your cap and then see what it costs.

Megs also seem to get smaller!! Years back 1Gig was a lot! Now days its nothing!

Be aware guys check their coverage first, know of two of my friends with this package that are not covered in their area for the fastest speed and now have to browse on edge...........they would have been better going with another service provider

The same applies for Cell C. That coverage map is bull***t. My Whoosh only runs on EDGE............ useless

Was in Telkom shop on saturday standing in the queue listening to an old geyser and his wife complain about the non existent coverage after having purchased 2 cell phone packages. Apparently the sales person had assured them 8ta had coverage in their area. Clearly NOT. The sales person denied having said anything.

Edited by Seeker911

How can I check if I am covered on their 3G network?

Does the map on their website distinguish between the stronger coverage areas?

The reason I ask is I went into one of their stores and the person assisting me could not for the life of her figure out if I am covered with the 3G network or not.

The problem is that they have this stupid map. This map does however not consider if you live in a little dip and since Joburg is not flat, chances are good you live behind some sort of a hill. There goes 3/4 of your bandwith................................

The Cell C stick is superfast when I bring it to work however!