Tdf Stage 5: Commentary, Opinions, Views

'Dale

http://velonews.competitor.com/files/2011/07/VAN-GARDEREN-325x452.jpg

Surely, the GC contenders will wanna stay out of trouble during this stage.

The Green Jersey contest will fire up again as Cav is looking for his 1st win this year. And Rojas hopefully extends his dominance in Green.

As Thor strives to keep the Golden Fleece on for as long as possible.

Watch out for the influence of the coastal winds sweeping in from the English Channel. Watch out for splinters in the main bunch. :blink:

Edited by AirBender

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes

Remember what happened with side winds in the past. This might yet be another ineteresting day..........

So what will Thor and his team do. Protect the yellow at all cost or take a risk and use Thor to lead out like stage 3???

So what will Thor and his team do. Protect the yellow at all cost or take a risk and use Thor to lead out like stage 3???

Personally I think today is perfect for Thor - the rolling course will not suit all out sprinters like Cav and Feillu.

Farrar was gifted a stage only because it was the 4th of July and the team is american. Any team that decides the current should world champ should lead out an average sprinter like Farrar needs their collective head read.

That said - I've been tragically wrong on Stages 2-4 so ignore the following:

1) The god of thunder

2) Ale Jet

3) Big Tom

Theoretically I should throw Sulky Cav in there but I just don't like him.

It doesn't seem right to watch the 1st week of the TDF without the yellow on the shoulders of Cancelarra at some point. Sorry for him that there were not an individual tt at the start, but at least others get to share in the gold for a change. Would love to see Cancelarra do a loner breakaway close to the end like 2(?) years ago, but I can't see that happening. Time for Boomen to rise, barely heard his name mentioned this year.

It doesn't seem right to watch the 1st week of the TDF without the yellow on the shoulders of Cancelarra at some point. Sorry for him that there were not an individual tt at the start, but at least others get to share in the gold for a change. Would love to see Cancelarra do a loner breakaway close to the end like 2(?) years ago, but I can't see that happening. Time for Boomen to rise, barely heard his name mentioned this year.

Ja, I have Boonen in my team and he is yet to make an appearance.

Maybe he is a bit slow this year

I'm with you Tarmac-SL3, Cav to take the win and then cry on the podium & in the interview.

Lol the double :lol:

Lol the double :lol:

Ye, time for Cav to get cracking or I am not renewing his fantasy contract come next July

Weather! We have weather today! And not in a good sense. The temps are ok, at aboout 20° Celsius. But other than that we will probably have that wet stuff coming down again. And wind, ranging from 30 to 40 km per hour.

The sun is shining at the moment but there are a lot of very dark clouds up there....

Ye, time for Cav to get cracking or I am not renewing his fantasy contract come next July

I don't think Cav is going to get more than 2 stages this tour. The rolling courses break up the lead out trains and the Cat 3/4 finishes don't suit him.

Personally I'm a big fan of the "new" rolling courses. Cav/HTC did for the flat stages what the blue train did for the mountains....boring boring boring. Thank god Lance and Cav didn't overlap - all we would have seen for three weeks is two teams....

Weather! We have weather today! And not in a good sense. The temps are ok, at aboout 20° Celsius. But other than that we will probably have that wet stuff coming down again. And wind, ranging from 30 to 40 km per hour.

The sun is shining at the moment but there are a lot of very dark clouds up there....

I don't mean to be rude but is ye olde cut'n'paste really necessary? People that have access to thehub also have access to any number of cycling related live commentary sites. Duplication wastes bandwidth :D

Thehub is for misinformation, misguided opinions and wild speculation...

Gutierrez in the break again? He looked crazy strong last time but surely this type of suicide riding will burn him out chippity chop?

Just watching all these guys working on the bikes on the fly.None of them useing torque wrenches and that guy on the Pinarello sure did tighten that stem quite tight.That was a lot more than 5nm