what makes disc brakes beter that vbrakes

Rancher

Naturally, I HAVE to comment! smileys/smiley4.gif

I can see that in really muddy conditions disk brakes *may* be better from the perspective that mud will not collect on the tires and clog the brakes - as happens to v-brakes. And maybe your rims look better and may last a bit longer because there can't be any "scouring".

But as far as I can see, thats where the advantages end.

V-brakes are: Less expensive, easier to adjust, last longer (in my experience), are lighter, and most importantly, just as effective. A good squeeze on the brakes will cause total wheel lockup on the steepest hill with the heaviest rider. I have no idea why people think disk brakes provide better stopping power - what can be more effective than that? The trick, obvioulsy, is how you use your brakes, but that applies to all systems.

HAHAHA. I think this disc stoppind power is just a big old myth, all Hype created as a selling point for ppl with to much Ching. I'd like to see some scientific evidence that tells me just how much faster I can stop with disc's. It's really stupid, the only thing that's going to make you stop faster is you Tyres!

Hey boys.....

Stop speculating.....Go ride with each system and judge by experience.....
I have done all......Vbrakes.....Disc/cable.........Disc/hydro.

Winner......Disc/hydro.Click on image to open in new window

Spinnekop38918.6703009259

smileys/smiley36.gif . YOur head can also help u stop --- faster ! Backpedal brakes are better than v's !

I think the ultimate answer was given by vbrake. there is another angle though. it is all about levers. the distance from the contact on the tire to contact area of the brakebetween the vbrake and the disk varies quite a bit. the disk have mechanicalflex in the spokes and the tire where the vbrake only have to deal with flex in the tire. other than all comments given already it is up to personal taste.

Agree with Spinnekop, I have ridden some top V's and top discs and afraid in terms of stopping power discs win hands down, I can tell you right now that I go faster on downhills because I know how well my discs work and how quickly they stop me. Controllong my bike is so much easier.

Marius, jy kan met my Votec 'n keer ry en voel of hulle beter stop.

Ek ry met Magura Louise Freeride op my fully en met Magura Marta's op my hardtail. Altwee gee ongelooflike stopkrag.

Glo my die Marta's is ook nie so swaar nie.

Op my vrou se fiets is 'n paar Magura HS33's. Hydrolic v-brakes en hulle werk ook bitter goed.

Groot nadeel met disc's is vir my by nat weer. Die modder is ok, maar die water gaan sit tussen die disc en die pads. Veroorsaak dat die pads opraak al rem jy nie.

Thx SR, I got myself some XTR V's with some Koolstop pads, think they should do the job just fine.smileys/smiley4.gif I'd rather not come ride on you bike again, I don't like the thorn tree's in your back yard, ouch!smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley9.gif