DIY - Morewood Shova ST Build

Chubba

I have the frame, now the hard work.

I have decided to document my first build on TheHub with the hope that the community can offer assistance and advice while I build her up.

This is all new to me, and my technical knowledge goes as far as changing a tubeless tire and fitting pedals.

So first off, here is the frame in all its glory, not looking the part, but she will soon be off for her spray job. I have asked Morewood to go wild and take the initiative with the colour. They can surprise me.

post-12790-0-54579300-1310027466.jpg

Next step are to find parts, this is what I am hoping to build her up with:

•  
  • Full 2011 XT 3X10 groupset – includes brakes, bb, gearing, cassette and chain.
  • RockShox Revelation Fork 110 -140
  • Fox RP23 Boost Valve – 200mm X 50mm
  • I will use my current Hope2/Crest rims.
  • Specialized Format Saddle
  • Thomson Seat Post
  • Pedals – XT SPD
  • Stem and Handlebar, still undecided

Questions:

What would be the best headset to use?

What length riser bar should I look for?

Edited by Chubba

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you should welcome financial sponsorship from hubbers, as well as their advice and opinions...

put their money where their mouths are, :lol:

But yeah... headset... if you're going all out... then Chris King (and wiat until you see the colour of the frame so you can choose a coulour that compliments it).

Bar width... I would go for something around 720mm (this being an AM machine), with no more than 1" rise... 20mm rise is probably perfect.

Stem... around 60mm zero slant

Edited by patches

you should welcome financial sponsorship from hubbers, as well as their advice and opinions...

put their money where their mouths are, :lol:

But yeah... headset... if you're going all out... then Chris King (and wiat until you see the colour of the frame so you can choose a coulour that compliments it).

Bar width... I would go for something around 720mm (this being an AM machine), with no more than 1" rise... 20mm rise is probably perfect.

Stem... around 60mm zero slant

Going to take it slow and only buy used if possible. Scouring ebay!

If it's a winner, I will sell the other steed – maybe/possibly.

Headset - do you know what size?

Agree on the stem and bars. Running a 710mm bar (Funn Full-on) and 50mm stem. works perfect!

Is that the frame that was on gumtree?

As for headsets, I've got a normal BBB headset and it has not given me any problems yet (almost 3 years). Regular servicing works wonders.

Is that the frame that was on gumtree?

It is! And has had an interesting history!

CKing is obviously top of the range - but allow me to put a word in for Hope headsets... Installed one on my SS recently - so cannot really comment on longevity yet, but by all accounts (reviews etc.), it's as good as the CK's...

It's about half the price off CRC, and looks awesome! I particularly like the top-cap bolt that HOPE uses, pretty sweet! :thumbup:

My 2 cents!

Good luck with the build - will be interesting to keep an eye on it!

Next step are to find parts, this is what I am hoping to build her up with:

• Full 2011 XT 3X10 groupset – includes brakes, bb, gearing, cassette and chain. RATHER GO 2X10. Chances are you won't need the 44 and a 36 or 39 will do
  • RockShox Revelation Fork 110 -140 Straight Dual air will be plusher and more rewarding when going hard. You don't need travel adjust on that bike
  • Fox RP23 Boost Valve – 200mm X 50mm
  • I will use my current Hope2/Crest rims. Hope2 Yes / Crest not so much. They are brilliant rims but XC aimed. A Shova will yield better rewards with an Arch rim
  • Specialized Format Saddle
  • Thomson Seat Post Reward yourself with a dropper
  • Pedals – XT SPD
  • Stem and Handlebar, still undecided

Questions:

What would be the best headset to use? Cane Creek XXCII Flush if I remember correct

What length riser bar should I look for? 60 / 65 / 70 at the longest + 710mm bar OR 50 / 60mm stem with 720mm bar

@ The Crow

RockShox Revelation Fork 110 -140 "Straight Dual air will be plusher and more rewarding when going hard. You don't need travel adjust on that bike" - would like to reduce the height for hard climbing, would the adjustable fork not be a better option?

I will use my current Hope2/Crest rims.

"Hope2 Yes / Crest not so much. They are brilliant rims but XC aimed. A Shova will yield better rewards with an Arch rim" - maybe at a later stage wont have the cash for new rims now.

Thomson Seat Post - Reward yourself with a dropper - again cash issue R2k for KS dropper, maybe later.

Edited by Chubba

What front derailleur would be better, as the frame takes both top pull and bottom pull? Have read bottom is a better unit?

Get a 150mm travel Revelation if you can ... I moved up from a old 140mm Fox to the 150mm on the Rev and am loving the ride.

Get a 150mm travel Revelation if you can ... I moved up from a old 140mm Fox to the 150mm on the Rev and am loving the ride.

can always go for a 120-150mm revelation.