So did a helmet save his life?

Hairy

Pic from TDC .. with head injuries while wearing a helmet I would hate to see what he would have looked like should he have been wearing a flimsy little cotton cap!

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2011/07/07/1310030508753-1o60hf4dziso3-800-75.jpg

Game over for the day at least

Eina! Tarmac is an unforgiving surface!

I posted earlier that I noticed that many helmet straps in the peleton are not cinched tightly. I wonder if this was not maybe a helmet that came off and he would have had NO injury if the helmet was on properly?

Is this the guy (cannot remember name) that went into the ARMCO barrier in the rain today?

I wonder if this was not maybe a helmet that came off and he would have had NO injury if the helmet was on properly?

The cut is above his eye - I don't think his helmet came off - you can clearly see where the helmet has stopped his hair from being stained by the blood. I've crashed with a helmet and been cut in the same place before. It bleeds a lot which accounts for the blood further back on his head.

I also don't think the pelaton is riding around with their helmet straps hanging loose as a rule. Their helmets would be wobbling all over the place and they would look like a bunch of tools.

I posted earlier that I noticed that many helmet straps in the peleton are not cinched tightly. I wonder if this was not maybe a helmet that came off and he would have had NO injury if the helmet was on properly?

Is this the guy (cannot remember name) that went into the ARMCO barrier in the rain today?

Nee oom, same team but no cigar

Leipheimer tackled the barrier today, the picture is of Brajkovic yesterday.

I upset a couple of guys on another forum when I made the statement that helmets don't save lives. Its not a factual statement but more a mindset one must take when cycling as you cannot always rely on your helmet when your in a pickle.

But this photo once again proves why we must wear one.

Nee oom, same team but no cigar

Leipheimer tackled the barrier today, the picture is of Brajkovic yesterday.

I dont smoke

21st May i hit a tree at speed... broken ribs, stitches in my face, but more concerning, my head hit the tree above my ear. Helmet crushed as designed to do (a Rudy project) and i was still knocked unconcious..

I know here in SA pretty much everyone wears helmets, but i was in Europe in 2010 and couldnt believe how few guys wear helmets..... its a no brainer!!

I rode around London for years and years with no helmet, sometimes half-pissed at 2 in the morning with no lights, got pulled over by the cops for not wearing one and told them where to go. One day towards the end of my 8 year stint I put on my sisters dorky disused old helmet because it was raining and I had a bad feeling about it. Crashed hard into a drunken pedestrian and landed head first on the tarmac - the helmet saved me from a serious head injury - I've worn one religiously ever since.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

I once came back from Stellies one Saturday night after too many drinks at The Garage in '97. Also no helmet, no lights, etc

Came around the turn before the caravan park (opposite the airfield) on the R44 and hit a would be bike mugger - I was drunk and swerved into him.

Hit my head hard on the ground, recovered my bike and cycled another 15km still drunk but now rather dazed from the fall - that was the last time I ever cycled a bicycle both either drunk or without a helmet.

We hit a cluck who fell off his bike right in front of us during a Telkom Classic race. I T-boned him and hurt my elbow with deep gashes and roasties down my leg. My wife was catapulted by the Tandem and came down right on her head. She had severe bruises on her hip and upper thigh where she slapped the tar but no roasties or other injuries. We were travelling atabout 30 to 35 km/h. Her helmet had NO scuff marks on it, only the imprint of the road surface, and it was broken in 7 places. Giro replaced the helmet for R150-00.

The cut is above his eye - I don't think his helmet came off - ..... I've crashed with a helmet and been cut in the same place before.

a cut above the eye means he must've gone down face first in which case you'll want to be breaking the fall with the hands/arms. how does he end up so "badly coordinated" during the fall that he cant even stick out the hand?

I rode around London for years and years with no helmet, sometimes half-pissed at 2 in the morning with no lights, got pulled over by the cops for not wearing one and told them where to go. One day towards the end of my 8 year stint I put on my sisters dorky disused old helmet because it was raining and I had a bad feeling about it. Crashed hard into a drunken pedestrian and landed head first on the tarmac - the helmet saved me from a serious head injury - I've worn one religiously ever since.

Hence the name Lucky Luke

a cut above the eye means he must've gone down face first in which case you'll want to be breaking the fall with the hands/arms. how does he end up so "badly coordinated" during the fall that he cant even stick out the hand?

I think the crash happened pretty quickly - not too much time to plan your landing strategy @ 40 odd km/h.

Looks like he scraped pretty much everything down his right hand side and broke his collarbone. Not a gentle over the handlebars as you might imagine...

post-615-0-11785800-1310104137.jpg