Dual suspension 29er around 20k

Druffster

I'm looking to buy a 29er full suspension for around 20k. My local bike shop said the big brands will be coming out with 29er full suspension bikes in about 2 or 3 months time.

Any recommendation for a dual 29er I can get for around 20k?

I ride a Silverback Moda 29er. XT bike with a RS Reba and Fox Float RP2 and within your price range. Nothing compares ito value... if you can still get your hands on it. Silverback seemed to have drop the ball a bit. No stock left anywhere.

A mate of mine bought the GT Sensor 29er. Sram x7 bike with Fox front and back. It's a tad more than R20k. Looks like the best bang for your buck at moment. And with the whole "go green" craze, you'll fit right in. Google images... you'll see what I mean.

There's also the Giant Anthem 29er, haven't ridden it but have only heard good things. The 2012 Scott Spark 29er is coming out in a couple of months, though I seriously doubt that it'll be close to your price range.

Happy hunting!

I'm looking to buy a 29er full suspension for around 20k. My local bike shop said the big brands will be coming out with 29er full suspension bikes in about 2 or 3 months time.

Any recommendation for a dual 29er I can get for around 20k?

Sorry mate, but if that's what your LBS said, then they're not exactly the brightest tools in the shed.

Trek / Gary Fisher, Niner, Giant, GT, Silverback, Titus, Pivot & a host of other brands have already embraced the 9er craze, and if your LBS is telling you that the "big guys" are only coming in with their 9ers in 2 to 3 months' time, then they're WAAAAAAAY behind the curve.

As for a 9er round the 20k mark, the Silverback mentioned above, or the GT sensor would be the most attractive at that price point. If you're looking at a more AM bike than out and out XC, then I'd suggest to go with the Sensor. The Giant Anthem, whilst being a fantastic bike, is also an XC machine and wouldn't be as good down the hills as the Sensor (Sensor has more travel)

Also - why specifically a 9er? Just asking...

I ride a Silverback Moda 29er. XT bike with a RS Reba and Fox Float RP2 and within your price range. Nothing compares ito value... if you can still get your hands on it. Silverback seemed to have drop the ball a bit. No stock left anywhere.

A mate of mine bought the GT Sensor 29er. Sram x7 bike with Fox front and back. It's a tad more than R20k. Looks like the best bang for your buck at moment. And with the whole "go green" craze, you'll fit right in. Google images... you'll see what I mean.

There's also the Giant Anthem 29er, haven't ridden it but have only heard good things. The 2012 Scott Spark 29er is coming out in a couple of months, though I seriously doubt that it'll be close to your price range.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for your response Squier. That sure helps!

Go to Solomons in Pta North - will get a great Fuji dual sus for around 18k.

Thanks Trapper I heard the Fuji is a nice bike in that range! I'm in Pretoria so I'll check it out.

Sorry mate, but if that's what your LBS said, then they're not exactly the brightest tools in the shed.

Trek / Gary Fisher, Niner, Giant, GT, Silverback, Titus, Pivot & a host of other brands have already embraced the 9er craze, and if your LBS is telling you that the "big guys" are only coming in with their 9ers in 2 to 3 months' time, then they're WAAAAAAAY behind the curve.

As for a 9er round the 20k mark, the Silverback mentioned above, or the GT sensor would be the most attractive at that price point. If you're looking at a more AM bike than out and out XC, then I'd suggest to go with the Sensor. The Giant Anthem, whilst being a fantastic bike, is also an XC machine and wouldn't be as good down the hills as the Sensor (Sensor has more travel)

Also - why specifically a 9er? Just asking...

Hey cptmayhem, thanks for your response. I used to be a roadie and now getting into mountain biking and "the word on the street" from a few biker mates who race say 29er is the next best thing and the way to go. Their race times have reduced quite dramatically...so that's why :)

As for my LBS, the sales dude did seem like a bit of a novice...or maybe it's not the best LBS to go to.

Thanks again.

YOu can also get the KHS Flagstaff for about R18k

http://bikereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/khs-flagstaff-2010-mountain-bike.jpg

You should be able to get the Silverback Modanine for around R16000, check the Silverback website out for specs but with mix XT/SLX, stans ZTR wheels, Reba fork and fox rear shock its difficult to beat value for money. I have the XL and was quite surprised with the how light it weighed and can quite easily be made still lighter. A web search on the frame brings up no issues with them.

+1 on the Moda Nine, although the shock angles seem awkward.

The KHS looks interesting as well.

Keep an eye on the Momsen bikes as well, launching a full sus 29er very very soon!

I ride a Trek/GF HiFi Plus got it for 19k, at my level it is all good and has served me well.

I had a chat with the dude at my LBS this morning. Apparently the 2012 Silverback bikes are coming out towards the end of August. He says prices won't differ much from the 2011 prices. Hopefully they're bringing more models to SA than this year.