Better entry tri bike

bunduboy

Morning,

New to this thus heregoes:

Looking to buy entry level tri bike.

Have choice of Raleigh RC6000 tri (2010) (R8500) or Shwinn Prologue (2009) (R7500) models.

What would you suggest as both has 105's on.

Thanks

post-26275-0-14378200-1310115274.jpg

post-26275-0-36466700-1310115286.jpg

If its between those I would go for the raleigh.

I faced a similar predicament last year and opted to go for the FELT AR4. At the time this was the best bet for me as I got an upgrade on my road bike and a bike that I can use very well for Tri as its an aero frame. I got a tri saddle and clip on bars for when it becomes a TT bike. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Many thanks - that makes sense,

so maybe I need to start looking for "entry" level bike with an aero frames - any suggestions??

If its between those I would go for the raleigh.

I faced a similar predicament last year and opted to go for the FELT AR4. At the time this was the best bet for me as I got an upgrade on my road bike and a bike that I can use very well for Tri as its an aero frame. I got a tri saddle and clip on bars for when it becomes a TT bike. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

agree! 100% :thumbup:

only problem is the price diff.. :unsure:

u can get a 2010 felt ar4 on www.gumbo.co.za for R22k

Edited by Skaap

Many thanks - that makes sense,

so maybe I need to start looking for "entry" level bike with an aero frames - any suggestions??

Entry level and aero are difficult to put together. In the end it all comes down to budget. Look at the cervelo S1. Its an aero aluminium frame. Not sure if they still make it though, but its far cheaper than the carbon varieties. For carbon a complete bike will start around 25k.

How much TT riding are you going to do? If you only planning on using the bike for Triathlon say 3 or 4 times a year then a TT bike is probably a waste of time because you can get a proper road bike and use it more often. I couldn't justify money on a bike to use only a few times a year so I went for a 'dual purpose' road bike instead. Then again I have no idea what your budget is and if you can afford and justify it go for it.

agree! 100% :thumbup:

only problem is the price diff.. :unsure:

u can get a 2010 felt ar4 on www.gumbo.co.za for R22k

I visited GUMBO when I was in EAst London this year for 70.3

Decent shop, friendly staff, would definitely give them a punt.

Always comes down to price unfortunately. I got my AR4 from SBR Sport in Sunninghill. Got great service from Mike and it came with a proper setup for both road as well as TT. He marked off both saddles, marked the tri bars etc etc.

Dont regret the purchase one bit, love the bike to bits and still think its the way to go for peeps who dont want to buy a bike solely for TT

I have a road bike F85 Felt, thus looking for something specific to do tri's (half ironman and olympic distances)

I can also get an S32 Felt 2008/2009 model with mix of ultegra and 105's for R4500.????

Go with the schwinn and pocket the extra grand. We are dealing entry level here so its much of a muchness.

Which one do you like? thats what counts.

I have a road bike F85 Felt, thus looking for something specific to do tri's (half ironman and olympic distances)

I can also get an S32 Felt 2008/2009 model with mix of ultegra and 105's for R4500.????

Also a great looking bike.

Dude it comes down to which one talk to you. At that level they all pretty much the same. go for the one which speaks to you and makes you want to ride it.

As Ghostface says, the Giant is also an excellent machine, probably the best out of what you mentioned above, but again its a bit more expensive.

You are limited in the useage of TT bikes as they are only allowed in non-draft legal races. Most of the tri races are draft legal and therefore you cannot use the tri bike. You cannot use tri bikes in any road race either.

If you are getting this tri bike as a second bike or you are only going to do non draft races, I would take the Schwinn. They are imported by Omnico and their after sales service is brilliant. I have had experience with this and they really are good

I have been waiting for a replacment frame from Raleigh for almost a year now.

Raleigh does seem better as it will have 2010 105 parts, looks better IMO too.

Depends if you can stretch the budget allot, Felt have Tour de France specials and their B14 (something like that) is around 14-16K I think, carbon 105 bike so have a look at their stuff as well.

Keep what you have and just get some deep section wheels.Unless you can ride close to 40km/h a tri bike won't help much.Just up grade what you have

Have the same bike, love it !

So let me know how it does if you add bars and aero wheels to it

is that just the frame, or hte complete bike?

Thats the whole bike actually, flippen good value for the parts/price