Juan Mauricio Soler - what a shame.....

Gerhardc

• 3 weeks later...

I think he came to about a week ago, heard he has problems swallowing and speaking.

About a week ago, I read he was out of ICU, and was said to be making great progress, but the recovery will still take some time.

I think he came to about a week ago, heard he has problems swallowing and speaking.

:o

Thanx, azonic.

Long road to recovery, it seems.

From a pro athlete to struggling to speak... :unsure:

From Wikipedia:

"Early in stage six on Thursday, June 16 2011, while in second place overall in the race, riding with the peloton in a downhill section at about fifty miles per hour Soler hit a small raised piece of curbing from an adjacent foot path, hit a spectator, was thrown into a solid fence and was gravely injured. He suffered a fractured skull and a cerebral edema, and other fractures and hematomas. Soler has been placed in a medically induced coma. Two days after the crash Soler has shown signs of improvement but is still in the coma. [6] [7][8][9] By July 8 2011, Soler's condition had stabilized enough for a move to Spain to be considered but doctors report he's showing signs of "serious cognitive deficits" due to his head injury.[10]"

So how I understand it, possible brain damage.

update:

"A statement from his Movistar team said that Soler has experienced “notable improvement” in his condition since his arrival in Spain, although it explained that he will spend “a long period of time” at the medical centre. On Tuesday evening, Soler was moved to a room on the regular medicine floor of the hospital."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/soler-leaves-intensive-care-unit

He never ever found the form again that he had when he won the polka dot jersey for Barloworld on his Cannondale in the tour. A great shame - hope he recovers.

2011 quite a year laced with tragedy in pro cycling...

And not the doping kind...

2 riders died. One on the bike and one off it.

1 with serious head injuries.

And then several rough accidents in the recent TdF.

Hmmm.... <_<