Burning lungs Q

Why is it that whenever I push really hard and keep my HR at max (e.g. hills) my lungs burn towards the end of the ride, and still the hours after the session?

(ps: I don't smoke)

dry air..... i dunno. Also un-exercised lungs for the effort that you are pushing out (although my lungs were burning yesterday but I haven't ridden for two weeks).

Why is it that whenever I push really hard and keep my HR at max (e.g. hills) my lungs burn towards the end of the ride, and still the hours after the session?

(ps: I don't smoke)

no pain no gain, big ups you hardcore mofo you! (i'm too lazy to break a sweat)

btw i've heard training at max may not be such a great idea, maybe back off a little (my totally unqualified opinion here)

Burning lungs are a sign of exactly what you are doing - hitting the max so in effect you answering your own question

OK...so how 'bad' is it?

It's not "bad". It's your body telling you it's at it's current limit. You can train it to go way past whatever that current limit is. (I assume so, seeing as you are asking here, and you aren't currently riding the Tour)

You need to work on your anaerobic fitness. As in do proper intervals.

How do you do this?

OK...so how 'bad' is it?

well, put it this way, there was a heart rate lecture given a couple years back and the fellow who was giving the lecture claimed that as yet they simply hadn't found any evidence to support the idea that killing yourself in training (i.e. going above 95% or so of MHR) had any real benefit. He was of the opinion that doing short to medium length intervals (3-5min) at or just above lactate threshold appear to provide the right kind of training response to get you in shape for a race. This is, of course, along with planned rest, recovery and base training periods in between.

do a search, but er, don't necessarily believe anything on this site :D or me for that matter...

Edited by the (other) Nuge

If you train like that you'll get fitter until eventually you'll just reach a plateau. Basically you need a programme that tells you when to go hard and when to go easy. If your lungs are burning when you're taking it easy then maybe you should work on core fitness.

Guest agteros

anaerobic fitness and intervals? I thought you just ride every day and thats it...

That is the same as Comrades runners who just go a slog out the kilometers, one boring km after the other boring km at the same tedious pace. Then ... they start to wonder why they are not getting faster (fitter/more efficient?)...

Doing the same thing over and over again until tedium will not gain you much!

That is the same as Comrades runners who just go a slog out the kilometers, one boring km after the other boring km at the same tedious pace. Then ... they start to wonder why they are not getting faster (fitter/more efficient?)...

thats what i said :thumbup: :D

Guest agteros

thats what i said :thumbup: :D

thumbup1.gif true, but somehow people keep on 'not getting it' blink.gif

Cool man! So where can I get a mtb training programme?